New, cheap OLED modules

nebula

According to the Newhaven press page, their OLEDs (with proprietary controller) are drop-in replacements for standard LCDs. Anybody tried 'em? The prices are very good. Maybe this would be a good time to start an OLED thread.

Here are the products: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=119_576

Here is the press release: http://www.newhavendisplay.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1846

I'd love to know where other people are getting their OLEDs from, and if they are any better than these.

Yo, the Newhaven character OLEDs are mighty fine and are compatible (converted a waldorf micro q a few days ago - picture here: http://img535.images...8536/mg9636.jpg)

Yesterday, TK. and me were tinkering on the 256x64 graphical "Tempest" OLED from Newhaven (SSD1322 driver in the repository) - while the display itself is very impressive, we were yet unable to get usable output due to not-understanding how some things work and some flaws in the datasheets.

Bought via Mouser or Digikey.

Bye,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

I have a few in my cart over at DigiKey, will finalize the order after the weekend. I'm about to give the 6582 the OLED treatment, plus some Shruthis, maybe even the Prophet VS. Stay tuned :frantics:

If you don't get these, you can get them from Electronic Assembly or similar modules directly from Truly, but they don't sell direct to consumer.

Edited by jojjelito

Update... i have a good feeling regarding the ultra-nice and cheap 256x64 OLEDs from Newhaven :-)

mg9659f.jpg

Will present an animated demo, when I found some time to convert some old code :-)

Thanks to TK. - without him = no chance to get this running.

Edited by Hawkeye

Yes, the problem with the SSD1322 datasheet is, that it refers to the same controller, but contains the settings for an arbitrary non-Newhaven display (e.g. a display @ 480x128).

The Newhaven datasheet itself does not say a word on which addressing mode is used (there are a few possibilities) and the particularly necessary values for phase length, clock divider/oscillator frequency, pre-charge period and pre-charge voltages, as well as contrast settings. These values all depend upon each other like for an old fixed frequency monitor. Using extreme values for this, some nice FX are possible and the OLED really looks a lot like an old electron tube display :-). Methinks, I will address the guys @ Newhaven in their forum and ask them for the correct settings :).

Edit: just did that, the thread is here.

Best regards,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hmm, I didn't check the controller datasheet that thoroughly, just figured I'd post a link in case someone would be helped by it. It seems that Newhaven will have some explaining to do, or better provide some kind of app note or even an SDK. Let's hope they'll see this and come back with answers.

Edit: Seems Newhaven answered - App note here.

/Il scuro

Edited by jojjelito