Yakuza - our latest song using NES, OPL3, and the SID

m00dawg

My band (Vicitm Cache) just finished our latest song off our forthcoming album called Chipsurf Pipeline. I thought I would share this here since it uses the NES (2A03), OPL3 (via the sammichFM) and the SID (via the sammichSID) for sound effects. So far, it's my favorite tune (finished or otherwise) off our album.

Anyways, you can listen to, download, or buy it it from our website. If you do opt to throw down bling, it will likely go towards saving up to do a vinyl release and failing that, towards more chip-synths :) But just listening or downloading it and telling your friends if you like it makes us happy.

Wouldn't it!? Sadly, it's pretty damned expensive to do vinyl for a band like us. Doing a run of 100 12" LPs is around $800-1000 - that's without any artwork (which, I mean, is part of the whole point). That could buy us more equipment to make better music :) But we're going to try anyway! We might see if we can do something on Kickstarter or something.

I have this unhealthy fascination of what our music sounds like in vinyl - or really any chiptune-like thing. I wonder how the sound changes as the record wears, for instance. Do the square waves start to sound slightly more rounded? Stuff like that.

Wouldn't it!? Sadly, it's pretty damned expensive to do vinyl for a band like us. Doing a run of 100 12" LPs is around $800-1000 - that's without any artwork (which, I mean, is part of the whole point). That could buy us more equipment to make better music :) But we're going to try anyway! We might see if we can do something on Kickstarter or something.

I have this unhealthy fascination of what our music sounds like in vinyl - or really any chiptune-like thing. I wonder how the sound changes as the record wears, for instance. Do the square waves start to sound slightly more rounded? Stuff like that.

I have The Postal Service "Give Up" on vinyl, it doesn't sound much different, it the record is mastered and cut properly it should sound very close to the digital master. If the original recording was done on tape, and then mastered to tape, then cut to vinyl you could argue that the analogue signal path was maintained from start to finish and never compressed....

Consider cutting a 7" single, the cost should be about 35% less and you can just include a digital download link for the rest of the album. Also, just get the plain white jackets and silkscreen the artwork yourself, it will be much cheaper and way cooler DIY punk style!

Thought about a 7" and, in fact, there are some songs on the album that could work well as singles. The cost savings was about $250 from what I found. I really like the idea of really accentuating the album, though, and since a 7" will only gie us 2 songs I was thinking the extra $250 might be worth it for an LP.

Can you elaborate on the silkscreen route? I noticed that the costs of the whole thing went /way/ up by having artwork, although artwork is, to me, part of the whole vinyl experience. So I want to have it done in some way.

Thought about a 7" and, in fact, there are some songs on the album that could work well as singles. The cost savings was about $250 from what I found. I really like the idea of really accentuating the album, though, and since a 7" will only gie us 2 songs I was thinking the extra $250 might be worth it for an LP.

Can you elaborate on the silkscreen route? I noticed that the costs of the whole thing went /way/ up by having artwork, although artwork is, to me, part of the whole vinyl experience. So I want to have it done in some way.

You can either take it to a screenprinter and have them do it for you, it will probably cost about $25.00 to burn the screen, and $1.00 per print per color, or you can just buy a screen, squeegee and ink at a craft store and do it yourself. You can build a single color press with a wooden table and hinges from the hardware store. This would be great because you can also make t-shirts for you band with this setup. "Plastisol" works great on cotton or 50/50 tees and it will also work on the album jackets. If you choose to have a professional do it, you could save money by using the same design for your cover and the shirts and having them do it all at once. You can find all kinds of screenprinting tutorials online. It's a lot of fun and a good skill to learn which will be useful for promoting a band, posters, t-shirts, etc.... BTW, if you establish a good relationship with a local printer, they'd probably be happy to expose some PCB's on photoresist copperclad board for you when needed. The exposure units they use for photoemulsion in the screen-making process are perfect for PCB's

Wow that sounds really awesome! I'll have to look into that. Doing my own screens sounds fun! I wonder how well that would do on the outer sleeves though - it sounds like with the wood option I have to apply some pressure? I'll have to do my research :) I honestly don't know how screenprinting even works :) Crazy awesome that they can also do PCBs though. If they could align them, it'd be even better (I suck at making 2 layer boards).

In other news, we just dropped another song called Bomb It Out. Enjoy!