MIDI MERGER problem

smc

Hi Thorsten,

I have a problem with loading the midmerger_pic18f_with_bootloader.hex from mios studio (see attached file)

The problem is there is a range problem in the PIC flash memory. If you see the attached file, the PIC flash range is from 3000-7ff!!!

If you know what's causing it please let me know.

Note I've loaded the MIOS8 with burner successfully. But having problems loading midi merge file(mentioned above ) with mios studio.

Thank You

I had problems attaching file.....

Hi Thorsten,

I have a problem with loading the midmerger_pic18f_with_bootloader.hex from mios studio (see attached file)

The problem is there is a range problem in the PIC flash memory. If you see the attached file, the PIC flash range is from 3000-7ff!!!

If you know what's causing it please let me know.

Note I've loaded the MIOS8 with burner successfully. But having problems loading midi merge file(mentioned above ) with mios studio.

Thank You

Hi,

it seems that the .hex format isn't compatible with MIOS Studio 2 anymore.

Could you please try it with MIOS Studio V1? -> http://miosstudio.midibox.org/ (download MIOSStudio_beta9_4.zip)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

I tried the old version of mios studio but it had overwritten the MIOS operating system! By closer investigation, I noticed that the mid merger hex file starts at address 0000 instead of 3000. Resulting in overwriting the operating system. The chip 18f452 doesn't boot anymore. This requires a reburn of the chip.

I'm not to converse with assembler but I believe that it's necessary to change the starting address with an "org 03000" instead of org 0000. If this is the case, can you suggest where I can modify the code. Is in in one package or other packages which are affected.

Please let me know on what your thoughts are on this.

Best regards

Sam

Hi Sam,

could it be that you tried to upload midimerger_pic18f_without_bootloader.hex?

This .hex file is intended for people who want to flash the PIC directly without the usage of a bootloader.

The midimerger_pic18f_with_bootloader.hex starts at 0x400 and can be uploaded with the MIOS bootloader.

No, it isn't required to locate the code at 0x3000, as the merger is a standalone application which doesn't use MIOS itself (it only supports the bootloader - optionally)

The midimerger_pic18f_with_bootloader.hex variant is selected in midimerger_v1_5/18f/reset.inc with MIOS_BSL_FLAG

I'm surprised that the bootloader has been overwritten, as it protects the 0x000..0x3ff range.

Do you still get an upload request after power-on?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Sam,

could it be that you tried to upload midimerger_pic18f_without_bootloader.hex?

This .hex file is intended for people who want to flash the PIC directly without the usage of a bootloader.

The midimerger_pic18f_with_bootloader.hex starts at 0x400 and can be uploaded with the MIOS bootloader.

No, it isn't required to locate the code at 0x3000, as the merger is a standalone application which doesn't use MIOS itself (it only supports the bootloader - optionally)

The midimerger_pic18f_with_bootloader.hex variant is selected in midimerger_v1_5/18f/reset.inc with MIOS_BSL_FLAG

I'm surprised that the bootloader has been overwritten, as it protects the 0x000..0x3ff range.

Do you still get an upload request after power-on?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

The problem is finally solved. The transistor IC's were mounted in the wrong way!! Well, you may say, how can this happened?? Well if you refer to the photo merger1.jpg (part of the zip files midimerger_pcb_v1).The IC components were inserted incorrectly as well. I just used the photo because at the time it was easier to quickly see how the components are mounted on the PCB. Rather than using the PCB layout or schematic.....big mistake!!

The other problem was of course, the new mios studio doesn't quite work so well, since it complains about out of range error, even before I begin downloading the s/w in the pic.

Thorsten I suggest you remove this photo or replace it with another (if you like I can send you a photo of the loaded PCB with correct placement of components)

But thanks again for responding quickly and clarifying some issues I had in this post.

Cheers

Sam