AIN CC mapping

GrandMasterAudio

Hi All,

First poster here. :D

I'm wanting to build my first MIDI project, a controller for my korg iMS20 iPad app.

So, from what I have understood I will need a STM 32 core, and the AIN boards for the analogue pots.

My issue is, the app has preset Control Change numbers that span 1-127, but with only around 64 controls that I need to get access too.

So my question is rather than have 128 analogue inputs across 4xAIN boards, can I have 64 Inputs and map a specific CC to each analogue input?

And if so how would one go about doing this? Is it some thing I would do with MIOS??

What a fantastic forum I have stumbled across!

Best

Pete

I'm guessing that you want to build the Midibox64? It takes pots, but it only needs a PIC-based core.

What you do with the pots are completely up to you :) you can assign whatever to whichever pot using the lovely configuration software

(look here, under 'configuration' http://www.ucapps.de/midibox64.html)

On a sidenote, the box itself can be built just how you want it too. Let's say you needed 11 pots and 7 switches = no problem at all. Inhere, the sky is the limit ;)

The problem with the STM32 is that it is already being replaced by the LPC17 CORE. The STM32 is still relevant for the MIDISEQ but otherwise I would stick with a PIC. It will be easier to build and will do the same thing. The MB64 and MB64E projects will be merged into one project and ported over to the LPC17 from what I understand, but I am not sure of the timetable on that.

Not directly. There are some projects around that but most folks just go with the GM5 module. For a prototype, you can just build a separate GM5 module and just hook them together using MIDI cables. There have been attempts at doing this sort of internally on a custom board but you would have to design that.

Since this is for an iPad app, there is also some work being done separate to MidiBox for a MIDI to BlueTooth sort of thing with Arduino. I don't know the details though, I have just heard about someone doing that. I don't even know if that would work with an iPad but it might be something to look at.

The LPC17, as far as I know, it will be able to talk MIDI over the USB connection. The problem is you will have to either be a rather early adopter (which means writing and debugging code is highly likely) or you will have to wait for the MB64 to mature on the LPC17.

the easiest thing for him to do is get a 452 core kit from smashy, see if anyone here has a gm5 chip and board for sale and buy that, hook the gm5 to the core via the digital inputs, this then gives him usb midi. If he then goes with the mb64e he can then use potentiometers or encoders or both with buttons, also he can edit each pot or encoders or buttons cc# using the built in "edit event" menu and change the control to whatever he wants without using a computer to do it, 2 second press to save and thats it.

Hi SSP,

Many thanks for the pointer, I have now come to that conclusion, but realise no more boards are available, so as you say I'll ask around.

I was also trying to find a list of specific differences between the 64 and the 64e, could you point me to this?

also, is the "edit event" menu you mention in the windows gui written by Serge?

All the best

Pete

No the edit events is built into the mb64e software itself, if you have the 16x2 lcd screen and you cycle through the built in menu system then you will see the edit event part and then you select that then press or move a controller, you can endit the cc# or what ever without connecting to a computer editor.

The lcd shows that and what is assigned to it, you then edit it using the other buttons and then save it, to name the button you would need a bankstick attached.

Also the mb64e allows both potentiometers, faders and encoders and buttons, and in my opinion gives you much more flexibility than the mb64, go for the mb64e you will not be disappointed.

The editor from serge is great when you have meta events and such that you need to assign to buttons.

I have used a mb64e and gm5 combined in my last two projects as they do everything i need them to do perfectly, the only thing i have not used in a project yet is assigning leds to douts per button, this is something im currently doing on my new project.

The mb64e is is a great starting point yes you will need to do some code editing at some point and then recompiling but its easy (requires some reading and dont worry about asking questions!!) the tool links are available from the wiki pages.

I was daunted by the whole thing when i first started, however as the whole thing is modular in nature and you remember that it makes everything seem much clearer.

So you take a core and a dinx4, a 5 way ribbon cable with a molex header on the end and clip into one board and the other, there is your first core to din connection, then take an encoder and connect to pins 0/1 and vs and theres your first encoder, making sure that the code has an encoder set to those pins and not a button. If it needs changing then we change the code, this is something that I can go through with you when the time comes should you need it. The only thing i cannot do is build it for you im afraid!!!

But thats the best thing about this place, lots of help if you put the effort in yourself, so, get a core kit from smashy's site, a couple of dinx4 and some ainx4 and a dout, encoders, potentiometers and faders can be bought cheaply here in the uk and i have links for those.

I hope that helps a bit more.

Hi SSP,

fantastic help, really appreciate it.

I have a Core8 Kit, AIN and DIN modules on order with Smash, I think some stuff is on back order, but it will be here soon enough..

from what you have said I think ill get my self an LCD also.

I agree the coding part is daunting, Im an experienced electronics engineer, and have my own CNC based work shop, see here www.grandmasteraudio.com

but coding is very new, so will def need some help here when the time comes!

(whets weird was my band was called Sine Star Project, so SSP just looks like im talking to my self...odd! :D

Best

Pete