Recording Studio Light and LCD

SoundBoy

Hey there,

Ive been a fan of midi box for quite a few years now but I have never built one. I haven't been around in a while but I am building a new recording studio and thought I'd come here for some help with a problem I'm having.

Basically what i would like to do is make a recording indicator light for the studio, so that when I hit record in the software the light will come on. I would allso like to have a nice big LCD display that shows the time/bars/beats of the track.

I'm sure this is possible with the midi box technology but I'm not really sure where I should start. Any suggestions, ideas, how to's are most appreciated.

Thanks for your time

G

Hey,

possible and shouldn't be very hard at all.

have you checked this: ucapps.de/midimon.html

is perhaps a good place to start. it can display MTC or Midi Clock.

basically what you need is a core module, a doutx module, and/or a LCD display.

now if you want your Midibox to react to a state of "record", you need to find a way to transmit that via midi from your sequencer.

this could be a little tricky.

which software are you using?

best,

pee

Most DAWs will send out MMC (MIDI machine control), that will indicate record/play/stop.

But I'm not sure if the red light automation is such a good idea. I'd rather switch in on manually, because someone might open the door just as you press record. And if you're tracking vocals, for example, with lots of short takes, the blinking will drive you nuts.

If you're only using a small light to show yourself the record status, then ignore my concerns ;-)

Logic Pro actually has an option to control a "RECORDING" light with MIDI messages (in the "control surfaces" settings)

spreemusik's concerns are valid, but it could be configured with a "hang time" so it stays lit for a few minutes after the recording is stopped. I'd probably also add a toggle switch to force the light to stay on, regardless of the DAW's recording state.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I know this post is a couple months old but my studio is nearing completion, so I'm looking into actually doing this now. Sorry I never replied before but haven't been on the site for a while. Thanks for your advice and comments, peefunk76 your suggestion of the midimon is spot on, it's exactly what I need for the time display.

So what I will be doing is building a midimon with a nice 8 segment display with 4" segments, nice and big to put on the wall above the window in-between the control room and live room. I would still however like to make the recording sign that lights up. The best way I think is as you suggested with MMC or transport button LED. My question is, can I do the light with the midimon or will the light need to have its own core module and dout?If I can do them together, any ideas on how?

Please keep in mind I'm still a newbie to midi box building but I have read through the sites thoroughly and have a good basic understanding of it all but still need more experienced help. I will be running sonar x1 most of the time in the studio, but occasionally might have to run cubase 6 and pro tools 10. Current system is running windows 7 pro 64bit. I'm curious about how I would go about getting the software to turn on a LED/LEDS when I hit record.

Thanks again, your help is allways appreciated.

G

Edited by SoundBoy