Wiring of Modern Core to Modern SID... (Fixed!)

JRock

I checked the schematics of the core and the SID board... I think I'm doing it right

For Stereo SID - from Core to SID 1

VD - VC

VS - VS

CLk - CLK

SC - *

MU - MU

RC - RC

SO - SO

Now SID1 - SID2

VC - VC

VS - VS

CLK - CLK

MU - MU

RC - RC

*(on SID 2) SO - J14 of the Core

Now here's where I have trouble. Nothing plays unless I hook MD - SC (Core - SID1 and SID2)

Then only SID2 plays.

I've changed shift registers on SID1...

I've resoldered all the joints...

I've read everything I can think of... What am I missing?

I tried the interconnections app and when the CS# is supposed to be 0v it's 5v. The other pins seem to be 5v when they're supposed to. I don't really understand how to use it correctly.

I have a second core slaved to run an analog modular synth and everything seems to run perfecto on that.

I'm beatin' my brains out for 3 days on this. Please help :flowers:

Edited by JRock

If it is any help, the shift registers on the SID boards are the same as DOUT boards so the interconnection between them follows the same wiring scheme. The only exception is the SID2 connection to J14 on the core, which you have already. Actually just realised that is not quite correct, the 595s form 2xDOUT in parallel.

I designed my own PCB with both SIDs and 4 74hc595s (just to keep things neat). I can post the eagle files if you want but they are tailored for my own needs and may prove more confusing.

Have you tried swapping the SID boards around? Do you have the PWM signal connected on pin17 of the PIC to J10 and SID J2?

Have you set up the firmware correctly (setup_6581.asm etc)?

Tim.

Edited by gomiboy99

Thanks guys.

Tim, I appreciate it.

Flem, that was exactly what I was looking for.

So I have it wired correctly. The 2nd SID board is wired the same too except

SO - J14...

It must be the board then (or more like my assembly of the board.)

Guess I'll knock another one together and see how that works out.

So I had it wired correctly, and the board was good.

I disconnected the banksticks, switched out to a new PIC and reloaded setup-6581 again.

It might have worked just by using the old PIC and disconnecting the banksticks, cuz' I still had problems with them (the banksticks) afterwards.

I resoldered all the joints around my banksticks and Voila!! :sorcerer:

Now I have to troubleshoot the gate/trigger - comparator buffer board...

I put diodes on all the outs so I couldn't send any vicious voltages back in to the 40106's while I'm testing circuits (something that I've done before) but I might have put them all in backwards...

The cathodes (the line) should be facing out right? As in gates and triggers exit to the out jack through the cathode end?

Thanks again :flowers:

Edited by JRock

the cathode is the more negative end of the diode. If the output is for example +5volt then the cathode faces out or if the output is 0volt then the cathode faces in. In effect the arrow of the diode symbol points to the lowest voltage point. Exception is Zener diodes, they face the other way around.

Glad you got the SID boards working. I had not seen the page in the Wiki before so I will bookmark that one.

Tim.

Edited by gomiboy99