mb_6582 Power Supply

moonk

Hi, i just bought a power supply but wasnt sure if this would suffice for what i'm building. a little info:

My plan is to use 4 8050's and 4 6581's.

i purchased a Black power supply. I believe this is for the C-64

Input: 117v, 50/60 Hz, 40va

Output: 5vdc, 7.5w, 9vac, 6.7 va

P/N 251052-02 

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thank you midimen.

Welcome!

My standard C64 PSU has 8,5W on the 5VDC (aka 1.7A) rail and 9W on the 9VDC (1A) rail.

I know, that it is really at the limit when driving a fully populated MB6582, so - while you can try, I´d highly recommend to be on the lookout for alternatives.

Also, the old C64 bricks are known for trouble, so it would be wise to replace it with a more modern PSU at some point in time :-)

Greets!

Peter

Welcome!

My standard C64 PSU has 8,5W on the 5VDC (aka 1.7A) rail and 9W on the 9VDC (1A) rail.

I know, that it is really at the limit when driving a fully populated MB6582, so - while you can try, I´d highly recommend to be on the lookout for alternatives.

Also, the old C64 bricks are known for trouble, so it would be wise to replace it with a more modern PSU at some point in time :-)

Greets!

Peter

Hi Peter!

this is good to know! i thought to my understanding that the psu was some esoteric object that we had to use..

do you have any recommendations for modern psus? i bought one for the sammichSID from jameco? something like that perhaps...

thank you!, you will be seeing a lot of me coming soon. :P

cheers!

Moon

Hi Peter!

this is good to know! i thought to my understanding that the psu was some esoteric object that we had to use..

do you have any recommendations for modern psus? i bought one for the sammichSID from jameco? something like that perhaps...

thank you!, you will be seeing a lot of me coming soon. :P

cheers!

Moon

If you do a search of the forum you'll turn up several threads regarding power supply options for midibox sid. My C64 power brick died on me recently so I used the power supply from a broken external hard drive enclosure that delivers 5v and 12v, each line is 2amps. I also added fuses and used 2200uf electrolytic capacitors and a 220nf and 330nf polyfilm (for 5 and 12v in that order) to filter any noise out. This works great for me it gives me very stable reliable power and I cannot hear a difference between this and the optimized c64 psu.

If you do a search of the forum you'll turn up several threads regarding power supply options for midibox sid. My C64 power brick died on me recently so I used the power supply from a broken external hard drive enclosure that delivers 5v and 12v, each line is 2amps. I also added fuses and used 2200uf electrolytic capacitors and a 220nf and 330nf polyfilm (for 5 and 12v in that order) to filter any noise out. This works great for me it gives me very stable reliable power and I cannot hear a difference between this and the optimized c64 psu.

hi sidmonster,

I'm willing to try anything that has been tested :)

I'm not sure where i would place the components you've mentioned on the main mb6582 board?

this is helpful though thank you.

MOon

You can also follow Retro-donalds design - i built one PSU according to his schematics recently and it works great...

my pics:

link to the schems:

http://www.retro-don...wernetzteil.php

should be translatable via google translate but you will probably understand it without translation...

it also has protection circuitry in case a voltage regulator runs berzerk... so that your valuable SIDs are safe :-)

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

hi sidmonster,

I'm not sure where i would place the components you've mentioned on the main mb6582 board?

MOon

Hey,

Check out TK's schematic for the optimized c64 psu, it's in the walkthrough. Basically you use this circuit but remove the portion of the circuit that combines 9 + 5v and rectifies to 14vdc (because the hd psu already has 12v) PM me for more info

Hi Moon,

My plan is to use 4 8050's and 4 6581's.

I had a very similar task.

For me I found the better solution to use the "option B" with the all needed components for this option on the Base pcb.

The power supply I made new like the C64 power supply with the 2 output voltages. The +5 VDC part I realised with the SD1084 chip ( LT1084 is the similar chip from the another manufacturer, applications can find on the net) in TO220 case .

There are the 5 amp diode bridge and the 4700uF capacitor in my schematic input part, too.

I used the case from an old PC 200W power supply.

Regards,

Janis

Hi Moon,

I had a very similar task.

For me I found the better solution to use the "option B" with the all needed components for this option on the Base pcb.

The power supply I made new like the C64 power supply with the 2 output voltages. The +5 VDC part I realised with the SD1084 chip ( LT1084 is the similar chip from the another manufacturer, applications can find on the net) in TO220 case .

There are the 5 amp diode bridge and the 4700uF capacitor in my schematic input part, too.

I used the case from an old PC 200W power supply.

Regards,

Janis

hi Janis!

thanks for the help. I'll have to revisit your suggestion as i didnt understand most of it. lol =( still a noobie hehe.

thanks!

regards,

moon

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the generosity all of you have shared with me and others. One thing I hate being careful about is looking stupid or asking dumb questions and getting snarky/offensive remarks from trollers or know it alls. I dont feel that one bit from this community.

SIDmonster, thank you for the link to the psu enclosure, i've been given lots of good suggestions but this one seemed to really resonate with my noobiness. :)

link can be seen here> http://www.google.co...0CK0BEPMCMAk4KA

everyone else thank you kindly for your suggestions/recommendations.

i have finally ordered the mb6582 kit via smashtv. I'm all set, well almost, i just need to source out the parts for the CS board which i've already done through mouser(saved my basket). but soon as i get the kit i'll go ahead and work on the main board.

oh happy dayssss :frantics: :frantics:

cheers!!!

moon

As Albert Einstein (allegedly) said "the only stupid question is the one left unasked"

As a general rule, as long as somebody has at least tried to look at the masses of docs on www.ucapps.de, wiki.midibox.org and this forum and still can't work it out then you will never get a smart/offensive response.

Good luck with your MB6582, you will love it :)

Phil

As Albert Einstein (allegedly) said "the only stupid question is the one left unasked"

As a general rule, as long as somebody has at least tried to look at the masses of docs on www.ucapps.de, wiki.midibox.org and this forum and still can't work it out then you will never get a smart/offensive response.

Good luck with your MB6582, you will love it :)

Phil

one of my fav quotes from him is "genius is finding information quickly"

I try to live by that to make me feel a lillll smarter . lol

cheers,

moon

thanks i'll need all the luck i can get it! nah, im very excited about building this one :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask if somebody knows how much power the MB6582 SID V2 required when you use power option B (5 V DC / 9 V AC / e.g. with the original C64 power supply). I wonder how much Ampere the device draws on the 9 Volt AC and the 5 Volt DC stream if it is fully stuffed with 6581 SID's or 8580 SID's and all SID's are working at the same time. Do I really need a power supply that supplies 2 A per stream ?

Cheers

orange

Hi,

I used the original PSU which provides 1,7 A on the 5 V rail, together with a fully stuffed MB6582 (all 8580 SID’s). The PSU worked very well for two hours before the fuse on the primary side burned through. So from this perspective the 1,7 or 1,5 A are ok if you use 8580 SID’s. The 8580 SID’s get their power from the 9 V rail, rather than the 5 V rail. If you would just use 6581 SID’s, I guess that the 5 V stream would be loaded even harder as the 12 V are generated from 9 V + 5 V. So this would be an interesting experiment …. Will the original PSU supply enough power to run a fully stuffed box with 6581 SID’s ?

Cheers

orange

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

i found a link where someone already had designed a pcb for a power supply

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=northernlightx&s

this is great, however i'm stuck wondering how does this connect/work with the mb6582? am i still using the DIN plug to hook the powersupply? or do i use one of those 2/3 pin power connectors and somehow connect those to my mb6582?

scratching my head.

thanks!

Hi,

In this case you need to read some more about Power supply option D.

In this power supply schematic for the MB6582 then not more necessary -12volt supply rail : IC2 ( 7912 ) and the some another components connected with it.

Regards,

Janis

thanks Janis,

I still need to know what exactly do i connect what is stated in the consturction guide vs the link i provided. the pcb eagle file shows no 2 pin, 3 pin headers.

Edited by moonk

I'm quite interested by Sidmonster's solution using an external HDD power supply... but still a little sceptical after reading a few threads and finding schematics for C64 brick alternatives (like the ones from NorthernLightX or ... Would this PSU do the trick, even with a MidiSeq with AOUT ?

[... And since I'm here : I received a 1st version C64 power supply and +5v is on pin 4 instead of being on 5... In fact, the plug only has four pins coming out, unlike my other "newer" C64 PSU that has all 7 pins (even though some aren't used). Can I bridge pins 4 and 5 inside my Midibox Sid without making a mess the day I plug my "newer" C64 PSU to the midibox ?]

post-9205-0-12128400-1318043821_thumb.jp

Edited by tupinamba

Hi guys,

i found a link where someone already had designed a pcb for a power supply

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=northernlightx&s

this is great, however i'm stuck wondering how does this connect/work with the mb6582? am i still using the DIN plug to hook the powersupply? or do i use one of those 2/3 pin power connectors and somehow connect those to my mb6582?

scratching my head.

thanks!

I spoke to Northenlightx about this design a while back. According to him it wasn't working properly. So i would not recommend using it.

Edited by Shuriken