Transport/Scrubb with MidiBOX64

d2k

Hi there...

Real new to this midi box building lark, but was absolutely blown away with what this site showcases and what the wizards on it have done using some know-how and a soldering iron...

With that in mind I've set about design a console based on the midibox64 and am wondering if it'd be possible to implement a transport section controlling the standard play, ffwd, rwd, stop and rec. Also, a datawheel that could double as a scrubb dial controlling the spl via a button switch would be nice...

I'm guessing MMC data would be used, but is it possible to connect it in such a way that when your in scrubb mode the lcd panel will read out song data etc...? ie: current placement of the spl...

Is it also possible for the data wheel to be used as a generic knob for all other menu options...?

Any advice be appreciated, cheers...

Dan

Hi Dan,

it depends on the used software if a transport section and datawheel can be used or not. As far as I know, it's possible with Logic/Cubase/Cakewalk/Sonar by sending MIDI events to the "MIDI Remote" receiver of the program. Type of MIDI event doesn't matter, mostly Note Events are used.

Read out Song data: not possible due to lag of support from the Emagic/Steinberg/Cakewalk. They are using propritary protocols which are only available with a NDA - this kills a public domain project.

Additional data wheel for menu options: not necessary, since all menues can be controlled intuitively with the available buttons, pots, encoders, faders, etc...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten...

Thanks for reply, I work with Logic which I found will listen to MMC commands for transport (or could just use cc events and assign a key command), the spl uses sytem messages so i guess all is fine....

I will be back with more q's no doubt...!

Thanks once again....

Dan

Shudda mentioned b4 -  but what would be the best way to implement the transport buttons and scrubb wheel ???...

I wanna do a box based on the midibox64 (i know - and am extremely excited - about the forthcoming version and am hoping to, if at all possible, make it easily updatable to new spec), the transports buttons shouldnt be a prob as we got upto 40 to play with but what about the scrubb wheel? this would have to be an endless rotory pot that sends/receives mmc system msgs - could i just use one of the 64 pots and just do it that way or would i need a seperate board?

finally, i've nearly finsihing designing the external asthetics for the mb64 and have made it with the actual components i'm hoping to use (case/knobs/faders/buttons/lcd etc), i've sourced the datasheets and associated spec for each - could i possibly post a list to find out if it's all okay to be used with the pre fabricated modules...?

Nice1...

Dan... wishing he knew more

Hi Dan,

yes, you are right, for an endless scrubb wheel special routines have to be implemented. I could add it into the MB16E firmware, but since there are so much other things to do, I would prefer to wait for MIDIbox NG. It shouldn't be a problem to realize such a scrubb wheel extension with the upcoming plugin concept (-> assign 2 of 128 available digital inputs to a rotary encoder, send out MMC messages, print out the MMC on the display). Anothera advantage: on this way you only need one core module for a lot of pots/encoders/buttons/...

List: sure, just post it. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...