Cheap and easy dustcovers for your MIDIbox

Flemming

Many of you might know me as the dude who builds stuff in cardboard boxes... well, i stepped up, and i am now manhandling plastic :D

I was really sad that my MB6582 had to stand here uncovered, so i had to improvise a dustcover. I had some of this cheap plastic cloth lying around (sry, but i have no idea what the international term for this would be. Here in DK we call it 'presenning')

post-5956-0-98205200-1312482619_thumb.jp

I measured all sides of the box and made a simple template using paper and tape

post-5956-0-58174200-1312482704_thumb.jp

I used the template with a permanent filt tip pen to draw up the shape onto the plastic. When i cut it out, i made sure to leave enough plastic in the corners, so i could later clamp'em together. For the clamping i used an ordinary paper stapler ('heavier' staples would really have been nice). I was kinda liberal during the measuring because i was afraid to make it too small, so mine might seem a bit chubby :) it could easily have been a slimmer fit.

post-5956-0-12683500-1312482942_thumb.jp

post-5956-0-35831300-1312482953_thumb.jp

post-5956-0-51609300-1312482964_thumb.jp

I cut out a hole in the back to allow the cover to fit even if cables are attached

All in all i'm very pleased with the result considering i spent about 20mins and $1.5 on it. And now i want to make covers for all my other boxes too :D It may not look that slick, but in the end i'm more interested in keeping my stuff safe. In the end, the important thing is that i left my former habit of using cardboard :P

Nice cover! Where will it all end - you´re cutting plastic sheets, i am grinding ebony wood, all for our MIDIboxes :-)

For now, I use silk sheets to cover the ´boxes, which look ok, but your covers are cleary a lot more "pro" looking :-)

Greets,

Peter

Mmm, "pressening" (same in Swedish) or tarpaulin (or Abdeckplane, bâche). Cool idea! Maybe one could score some from a building site or some trucking company for added feel-good factor about recyling stuff? Use a stapling gun thumbsup.png

Then have fun with a cutout stencil and some paint to mark your gear.

Hi Flemming,

you dont know the international name of that material but the picture you have posted can be recognized on Mars too :thumbsup:

Here is TELA INCERATA or TELA IMPERMEABILE.

Greets from Italy

Antonio

Edited by Antix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...