building a VP-Organ console from scratch: a to-do-list please

CatOrg

Just trying to keep it simple...

... for non-electronicians. And good enough to bring it in the Wiki.

For me there are "mainly" two configurations for a newbie with Hauptwerk / Myorgan / miditzer, and thats seems to be quite the same in midi-box-words.

And there is the need of most to give just the money out that makes sense, no more (not less since nobody wants a no-sense-solution, but thats not the theme)

Thats my case, and since I am quite the only organist actually here, I would like to have a simple "to-do" list for others here, simple to understand and bring in practice.

For simplifying, I name the pedal "manual" (with 32 or 64 contacts)

- Both configs: DIY the most, no MIDI-Keyboard, must be midifyied from old organ console for example.

- Config 1: 2 or 3 manuals, pedal, 0 or 1 swell pedal, select/unselect stops/pistons per mouse-device/computer-keyboard

- Config 2: 2 to 4 manuals, pedal, motorised stops, 1 or 2 swell pedal

So now comes questions:

- 2 x CORES

- 8 x DINX4 (2 for every 56 inputs, and 2 for the other inputs)

I love this list, I want smthg like that but complete from scratch to "load your favourite sample set, play and enjoy".

??? Is it really so? I understand you need the right software been loaded in the core of Midibox at each use, is it so if you use the DIN64? Is this automatical when I switch on? How do I load the first time the software in the core?

??? How does it goes with one of the 32 bits core? This has usb so no need for a MIDI-USB, just plug and play. But how many 64er-keyboards can these cores accept?

What (midibox-)module do I need for connecting one or two analog - or digital (?) - swell pedal? What software comes then in the core?

Thanks in advance

PS: The list looks like that, please correct me if necessary.

Lets speak about Config 1

- Build the keyboards and pedal you need or buy them used

- install contacts at each key

- find a friend who is electronician and want to work for you, or an prototyping-engineer, or learn to sold

- Buy the kits of - and build together 4 Midi-cores (better the stm32 based, since there is still no kit for the lpc17), 5 DIN and 1 AIN and connect them

- load the MIOS and the programs ...

- Read and do what this pdf says: http://www.tosa-qld.org/VTPO/docs/Midification_of_an_Organ.pdf

- connect your keyboards, pedal and swell pedal to the DIN and AIN-modules

- download and install your favourite VPO

- download and install your favourite Virtual organ (not in case of Miditzer, you have it already with the last step)

- plug-in your USB-console in your computer-USB-ports

- Play your keyboards and pedal for test

- buy or build a nice pair of loudspeakers - dont forget, all your pleasure depends from this step

- Open your favourite scores and practice.

Edited by CatOrg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

CatOrg,

Looks like you haven't got alot of response.

Perhaps I can help you a bit, as I have been thru this a couple of times. We can do it here on the forum, or by PM.

johnc

Dear John best thanks. In the meantime, I found two docs very helpfull:

http://www.tosa-qld.org/VTPO/docs/Midification_of_an_Organ.pdf

and

http://site.virtualorgan.com/community/uploads/20081102_011349_Midio_Mysteries.pdf

This doenst eliminate all questions, but quite a lot of them.

Francois

Edited by CatOrg