MIDIbox SCE

ilmenator

I got some questions about the status of this project, so here is a little update: there is some weird problem preventing the new protoboard from working properly. I am not sure what the problem is here, so I'll have to get out the logic analyzer to look into the signals on the address and data buses. I had to move my stuff around in the house, so my "lab" is not fully functional right now. I am still at it, and it will be solved, I just need some time to look into it properly.

Best, ilmenator

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it sounds lame, but my logic analyzer - another DIY project - broke down. Now I have two issues to solve. It's not forgotten!

i create korg format pcm files in a dsm1 sampler and then load them into my t1 and t3ex samplers

there is a limit of 100 samples and 1mb of 8bit memory which gives you 512k of 16bit sample memory

with the limit of 100 samples if you use the multisound format of standard korg multisamples they are in multipuls of 8 so you can get roughly 12 multisounds

this will give you the full range of the keyboard

but i have found that just using 4 multisound c4 c5 c6 c7 work fine so you can get 26 multi sounds on one pcm disk

now the difference with the sr is that it has a 2mb 16bit storage internal ram so that the card adapter is a pcmcia 16bit format card

the pcm data is the same format just that it can read more waveforms

they stick to the 32khz which allows them 1 octave pitch above root key

so whether you could do a dual card format

it should be easier for the pcmcia 16bit card adapter as its still in production and in use still as the card bus system uses it

i was toying with the same structure but with a fpga design with sdram cards and a switching circuit but could not fathom the card format

you having a sadok sam1 would make it easier

and hearing your own pcm samples with the synths engine is amasing as it sound sweet

but being able to do it in an m1 or wavestation is great as they dont have a pcm internal support like the t1 series did nore does the o1w which to me they went backwards as they did it in there t1 series and should of kept it and expanded it as they were going it was not until the trinity did they bring it back

I know it sounds lame, but my logic analyzer - another DIY project - broke down. Now I have two issues to solve. It's not forgotten!

Just a quick update as already mentioned over at Vimeo: I got another logic analyzer and the RAM card section is up and running again. There is still some problem in the PCM card section that I have to work on.

• 5 months later...

It's still on my list of things to do - I have been asked by a lot of people about this project, and it will be finished eventually. There is still a bug somewhere that prevents the PCM data card simulation from being properly acknowledged by the WS.

You see from my profile that I am located in the north of Europe, and here summer is usually the time to enjoy the sun - in winter there is very little sun available, so one has to enjoy while it's there. It also means that - come winter - I will return to the SCE project. Just hold on a little longer :twitch:.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Right, days are getting shorter again, but I have been relocating over the last weeks, and in my new place winter is not as bad as it used to be where I was before...

Now seriously, the project is not dead, but I have to admit that I will probably not finish this in the next half year or so. New job, new country of residence, lots of other responsibilities - you get the picture. However, the WS is still clearly my favorite synth, so this WILL happen, eventually.

Thanks for your interest and your patience. Any news on the project will be in this thread.

Kind regards, ilmenator

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

I am still working on this project, even though I haven't made any progress in the last year. I will probably continue to work on this after the summer.

(Original) Wavestation cards and 01/W cards do not share the same wave format, so they cannot be adapted passively. They are completely different things. The WS SR uses the same format as the 01/W, though.

Best, ilmenator

Thank you, Ilmenator

Do you think following claim has some speculations which are not true? 

http://web.archive.org/web/20030501131910/members.aol.com/wrkshppcm/

Many people have inquired about the possibility of using this program on the Wavestation EX and AD. I have been told that the format should work. However, a special adapter card must be designed to interface to the EX or AD since they do not utilize the same formfactor cards as the 01W series and WS-SR.

If I remember correctly, the original WS PCM cards are smaller in size, because their CPU cannot address as much memory.

I also seem to remember that the wave format is different, but I cannot find any source for this claim. So, I don't know for sure what is going on with the SR/01W cards and how compatible they are. However, given that they are larger in size, even with a passive adapter they won't be accessed properly. Everything else is to be tried out :-/.

• 1 year later...

Let's put it this way: it is still on my to do list, but this list has not become any shorter in the last years...

In the meantime, and if you're in a hurry, you might want to check out the WaveRex card, which does many things the MIDIbox SCE would be able to do (plus some more, but then again not everything ;-)).