Control problems sammichFM

wavecircle

Hahaha, this didn't take long.

The bottom buttons work fine, I can navigate the pages no problem and the esc and arrow buttons work fine too.

The encoder and the top buttons do not work. I am guessing that the two 165 chips route to the 595. My presumption is that the top 165 is missing a connection or isnt working. Would that be right? I don't think I need to troubleshoot the bottom set of buttons because they seem to work fine.

Again, should I just resolder all the joints relating to the top 165 chip?

Yes, I would simply "reflow" solder on those pins, although you can also check for continuity using a multimeter before you do that as well. I had a cold solder joint I wasn't able to spot with my eyes for my sammichSID. Had to end up cutting tracks to find it :/ The problem would have been easily solved by just reflowing solder on the joint (in other words, I should have tried that first).

And now, a word from the solder-technique nazi:

When "reflowing" a solder joint, you should always either:

(a) apply flux first, or

(b) add a small amount of flux-cored solder to the joint.

Flux is like the magic elixir of soldering. It removes contaminants and small amounts of oxidization on the metals to be joined, and carries it away. If your solder joint was poor in the first place, there is an good chance that it is due to insufficient heat, or because the flux in the solder did not reach the required surfaces. Oxidization occurs on metals like copper very quickly, so adding flux will greatly improve the likelihood that the solder will bond properly when re-heated. It also prevents the joint from becoming contaminated.

Just sayin ... :)

Hmm,

I just resoldered all the relevant points using flux, still doesn't work. It's ironic really because the soldering on the bottom buttons is worse than the buttons on the top but the bottom buttons work fine. I swapped the 165 ICs round and that didnt change anything so I know the ICs work. Is it possible that I have burned out the transistors? Would that effect the encoder and top buttons?

Hm, i am not totally sure, but have you checked the orientation of the shift register ICs?

I think I can remember, that there was one, that was oriented the other way round (but that memory could be wrong as well).

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

It's the mode that beeps usually by the other resistance tests (if you have a dial on your tester). I would be surprise if you didn't have one on your tester but stranger things are abounds in the world. The easiest way to test for it is to make the probes touch and try the different modes on your multimeter. The one that beeps is probably the one you're looking for.

If you find that, then try it on a known good trace (like one of the ones for the top buttons) to make sure it works as it should. Then go to town testing all the end points around the bottom buttons to make sure everything is beeping at you. When testing pins on the sockets, remove the ICs and test on the top (that way you can test the solder joint for the socket easier). Just be sure you don't push down hard or it can bend the contact that comes in contact with the leg of the IC itself.

No, device should be off for continuity. You're just testing to see that there is a sufficient connection between two points (no shorts). You would test any any pins, via, etc. along the path. So start at a button, follow the trace from it to the next item (like the pin of the IC socket) and test there. Also test the other leg to make sure it is grounded by putting the probe there and on any exposed pin or joint that goes to ground. Stuff like that.

You can always start with the paths that work (like the top buttons) so you can get the hang of what I'm trying to explain (albeit I'm doing a poor job :P) since you know those are good connections.

If you're in the states, take a quick trip to RatShack (Radio Shack) and pick one up for about $20. They also have a magnifying glass and things there too in order to help you trace the tracks, although there sammichFM schematic is around somewhere (I suspect on the wiki but I'm not 100% sure).

Right, I've figured out what I think is wrong with my technique. It's basically the solder I am using. It is 99.3% tin and 0.7% copper and at 1mm thickness. In order to melt this quickly I have found that I need my iron to be around 300C. What I think is happening is that the pads are getting overheated/damaged and I am therefore not getting a good connection with the solder. Would this sound reasonable?

I believe that 60% tin and 40% lead melts at a much lower temperature, reducing the risk of pad and track damage?

I will probably have to buy another sammichFM :(

Edited by wavecircle

* are the pads coming off? if not, there is nothing lost, yet.

* connection tests are possible with your multimeter without beeper in "resistance measuring mode" 0 ohms = connectivity

* hi-res pictures of front (with populated ICs) and backside would be interesting to evaluate what is wrong.

greets,

Peter

I think the pads are intact, it's very hard to do the continuity because the board has tracks on both sides and it is fully populated. I would need a schematic to see what should be going where.

I took the Sammich down to my EE friend and he said the soldering isnt up to scratch as I was using too thick and the wrong kind of solder, hopefully he can fix it.