Ready To Order From Smash TV

Jay Beckham

I send the following email to Smash TV. Have not heard back so perhaps people on here can advise me.

I am ready to order. So I need some help in that process.

Just to remind you I have the following. Conn 632 2 61 note manuals, 25 note pedal board. 46 stops/couplers, one expression pedal.

I have been talking with Graham Goode and he has advised the following.

2 Core8 kits with the PIC18F452 and one at address 0 and the other at address 1. How do I indicate the two addresses on the order form?

8 DIN kits.

I will be soldering wires to each set up wire wipers and one wire to the common wipers on six bus rods for good luck. I can group them in eights and use DIL crimp connectors (or the ten pin?).

So I guess I would need for now 4 x 7 or 28 ten pin connectors? The 8th DIN is a spare.

Then I need to connect the boards together and connect them to the Core8 boards. How many wires and what connectors or ribbon would I use here?

The 8th DIN is a spare.

What have I missed? I do have a Midi Cable with male on both ends and a Cakewalk UM-G2 which has four female Midi plugs so I would use the Midi 1 In on it.

Down the road I may want to add some pipes to the organ and I assume your DOUT would control them?

Also I plan to use for now the Free Haukwerk software with the included St. Annes organ and the Free Paramont Theater Organ which I believe runs on the Haukwerk software.

Thanks

Jay Beckham

Berkeley Springs, WV USA

Midifying a Conn 632 to a Classical/Theater Organ

You can specify the PIC ID header right on the SmashTV oder form for the PIC8 kit(0 and 1 in your case) but I HIGHLY recommend you sped a LOT of time familiarizing yourself with the hardware and software side of things before diving head first into this.. If you are experienced with programming in C for 8 bit uCs, digital multiplexers, and have a very good understanding of the electronics of your organ than you will be fine but if you think this is just solder this wire to that pin, this wont go very well for you.

I have no experience with the mechanical/electrical controls of organs but can definitely say you will need digital OUTS not INS to control it (with relays probably)

Edited by Altitude

Hi

I think maybe I didn't correctly indicate what I am doing. I am building a virtual organ. My organ has been gutted to just stop tabs, keys, and pedals. I am going to use it to tell a computer through the MIDI interface to play the software loaded into the computer. All the program needs is commands from the Core8 boards via an USB connector. So I need DINs to read what key was depressed to the program in the PC and it produces the musical sounds I am playing. The only programming I have to do is to tell the Core8 which pin of the DIN is assigned to what note, stop, or switch.

HTH

Jay

You can specify the PIC ID header right on the SmashTV oder form for the PIC8 kit(0 and 1 in your case) but I HIGHLY recommend you sped a LOT of time familiarizing yourself with the hardware and software side of things before diving head first into this.. If you are experienced with programming in C for 8 bit uCs, digital multiplexers, and have a very good understanding of the electronics of your organ than you will be fine but if you think this is just solder this wire to that pin, this wont go very well for you.

I have no experience with the mechanical/electrical controls of organs but can definitely say you will need digital OUTS not INS to control it (with relays probably)

You arrive at the best of times and the worst of times. TK has just released a new version of MIDIO128 but it requires a new Core module. I am pretty sure this new version is what you want to use as it has several features that are a nice step up from the previous version. The problem is that you will be a pioneer and you could have questions that no one will be able to answer from experience. Tough call.

Jim

Yes, indeed the new Midio128 is the way to go; however where in the world can we get the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 in the U.S.?

It is not shown as available at AVI Show Smash TV. Also, the LPCXpresso is shown as back ordered on the Code Red site Code Red therefore, it appears as a dead end for now.

Any advice as to a source that does not include VAT and huge shipping costs would be appreciated.

Will

Jim

Yes, indeed the new Midio128 is the way to go; however where in the world can we get the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 in the U.S.?

It is not shown as available at AVI Show Smash TV. Also, the LPCXpresso is shown as back ordered on the Code Red site Code Red therefore, it appears as a dead end for now.

Any advice as to a source that does not include VAT and huge shipping costs would be appreciated.

Will

The LPCXpress is currently available at Mouser. I too await word on whether there will be another bulk order for the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 or whether SmashTV will have them. John

As I understand the new version of MIDIO128, it is still limited to 128 inputs unless you are using a switch matrix. Based on the drawing you've made, I think the PIC8 boards will be more cost effective.

BTW, the DIN chains should connect to J8/J9.

Tim

Should I hold off on my order?

Jay Beckham

Hi Jay,

Only you can answer this question. Are the features in the new version a must-have?

Is cost a consideration?

Time frame an issue?

After looking over the documentation for both versions and the build page for the LPC based Core can you make it to goal with only basic help?

I can't say it any better than Jim has:

The problem is that you will be a pioneer and you could have questions that no one will be able to answer from experience.

In DIY help is voluntary, nobody is paid to provide support etc., so it's up to you to decide your comfort level with learning/reading the documentation and working with this stuff.

From my inbox:

Should I wait on the new PIC or just place my order now so I can get on to this project. And will it require a different CORE8 board or use the current board?
In the future keep in mind I am watching this thread, no reason to ask similar questions both here and in my email.

The Core8 board is PIC based and runs MIDIO128 V2

MIDIO128 V3 requires the LPC17 based Core.

Don't be afraid to click around and read http://www.ucapps.de/. Every build question you have asked so far is answered within one click from that page. :)

Best regards

Tim

Hi Jay,

Only you can answer this question. Are the features in the new version a must-have?

Is cost a consideration?

Time frame an issue?

After looking over the documentation for both versions and the build page for the LPC based Core can you make it to goal with only basic help?

I can't say it any better than Jim has:

In DIY help is voluntary, nobody is paid to provide support etc., so it's up to you to decide your comfort level with learning/reading the documentation and working with this stuff.

From my inbox:In the future keep in mind I am watching this thread, no reason to ask similar questions both here and in my email.

The Core8 board is PIC based and runs MIDIO128 V2

MIDIO128 V3 requires the LPC17 based Core.

Don't be afraid to click around and read http://www.ucapps.de/. Every build question you have asked so far is answered within one click from that page. :)

Best regards

Tim

Tim and Jim

Based on what you guys are saying, I doubt I need the new features. I want a very basic organ as that is all this Conn case can hold. Just trying to create an organ better than any I ever the opportuinity to play. Most of my playing in churches were Hammonds, Rogers, Allen, and two small pipe organs-one a case organ (self contained) and a small ten rank one.

So looking at my drawing I figure I will need 40 ten pin ICD and a bunch of ribbon cable. I know that that I only will need eight pins except for the common, but I assume the ICD is the best way to go? Even if I just insert eight of the conductors into the ICD? But is that a good idea?

Do I download from http://www.ucapps.de/ MIOS V 1.9g for the Core8 or should I get it somewhere else?

Thanks

Jay

Hi guys

I will have them in stock soon, just waiting on the fabrication run to be finished.

Best regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

hooray!! for smashtv!

Will you have complete kits, everything included?

I am going to hold up my project and wait for you.

Do you have any idea at all when we can start placing orders?

johnc

Yes, ICD (or IDC, insulation displacement connector) connectors for sure at least on the Midibox end.

MIOS will already be loaded on the Core8 PIC that you get from SmashTV.

One Quick question before I order:

Jim Henry has suggested the use of a LCD module for testing. All electronics has one for $7.50 USD. It is 2 x 16 Hantronix # HDM16216H-4-DOOS. Does not mention Backlight. They also have a 40 x 2 Led back lit. #UMSH-3077JD-YG for $8.50. I noticed the SmashTV doesn't show an LCD.

What suggestions does anyone have in this regard?

I know that Midi-Hardware sells the with a ten key keyboard. Would I need that also?

Thanks, Jay Beckham

One Quick question before I order:

Jim Henry has suggested the use of a LCD module for testing. All electronics has one for $7.50 USD. It is 2 x 16 Hantronix # HDM16216H-4-DOOS. Does not mention Backlight. They also have a 40 x 2 Led back lit. #UMSH-3077JD-YG for $8.50. I noticed the SmashTV doesn't show an LCD.

What suggestions does anyone have in this regard?

I know that Midi-Hardware sells the with a ten key keyboard. Would I need that also?

Thanks, Jay Beckham

read through this: http://ucapps.de/mbhp_lcd.html

Plenty of people have managed to bring up a Midibox without the LCD display. However, I still think it is handy to have, especially on your first Midibox. MIOS Studio requires that you have a computer and a MIDI connection to the computer. The LCD display gives you an independent way of seeing what the Core is doing. For a $1 more I'd go with the 2x40.

Plenty of people have managed to bring up a Midibox without the LCD display. However, I still think it is handy to have, especially on your first Midibox. MIOS Studio requires that you have a computer and a MIDI connection to the computer. The LCD display gives you an independent way of seeing what the Core is doing. For a $1 more I'd go with the 2x40.

Thanks Jim