MIDIbox SEQ V4Lite

TK.

I forgot to bridge it, it indeed boots up when I do, relieved I didn't fry it :) Will check J15S solder points on the core and do some more tests, thanks again!

Well I managed to start the sequencer for the first time! Now it looked like it behaved like it should. Previously the intro seq took ages, and had a seemingly random pattern, and when it finally went to play the sequence, instead of going from left to right it looked like there was a mirror of the sequence going in opposite direction. Now it boots up after 5 seconds, and everything looks normal. It turns off after the slightest touch, so there's some loose contact somewhere I'm sure. Looks like I'm getting there! thanks again.

OK it SEEMS to work, except MIDI notes from the keyboard connected to MIDI IN 1 don't come out at MIDI OUT 1, no matter if In_>Out is selected or not. I'm powering from USB but it's not connected to a computer. MIDI is coming out, I'm getting clocks when it's running and a reset when I press stop. All joints around MIDI in/out 1 seem fine. Should this be working out of the box or am I missing a step to get it working?

It should work without additional measures when the In->Out function is enabled.

Are you able to check the MIDI input (coming from your synth) and output (coming from MBSEQV4L when synth is connected to IN1) with a MIDI monitor running on your computer? Maybe the synth isn't configured correctly.

Alternatively: loopback MIDI IN and OUT on your synth - does it work? And does it *not* work if the loopback is disconnected (ensure that "Local Off" function is active on your synth)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Had a lot of fun last night and stayed up way too late.. Today I turn it on again and notice that I didn't save the sequence correctly. Can anyone tell the exact step by step method for saving/loading?

ie press save - (hold it?) - press group GP - press slot GP - (release save?)

I was amazed at how varied patterns I could get after just entering a bunch of notes, a real inspiration machine!

I feel like my V4L is really close to working, but for some reason it is not.

MIOS32 and the SEQV4L program are installed on the LPC, and I can connect to it in MIOS Terminal. However, I'm getting no results from any keypresses and rare intermittent flashing from the LEDs if any activity at all on the SEQV4L board. As far as I can tell, my ribbon cables have correct continuity and placement, and J15_S is in the 5V position.

The only thing I can see that might be amiss is that J5A/B's A5, A6, and A7 don't show any signal when I probe them with a scope, whereas A0-A4 show some activity. Is this normal? It persists when swapping the ribbon cables I'm using for J5A and J5B as well, so I don't think it's a cable issue.

I've double-checked all of my soldering and don't see anything amiss on the CORE and SEQV4L boards.

Any suggestions? I'm stumped at the moment.

-Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't noticed your troubleshooting questions here... is it solved meanwhile?

A new release is available:

MIDIboxSEQ V4L.058
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o corrected SysEx output for LPC17
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The circuit is so simple, that it's very likely a connection problem. Since you've a scope, it could be debugged the following way:

First check the Dx outputs of J5A, each output should be strobed for 1 mS with a period of 8 mS. If not -> problem at the core module.

Thereafter check the J5 Dx inputs on the frontpanel. Do you see the same pattern on each pin? If not -> problem with the ribbon cable.

You won't see the same pattern at the collector of the transistors, because they are used in "open collector" mode. But you could connect a 10k resistor between collector and 5V, and then check the pulses on the collector - they should be inverted compared to the input pulse. It makes sense to disconnect J5A/B and J10 for this check to avoid wrong results (which could be caused by a short circuit for example)

Then it's time to check the polarity of the diodes and LEDs. The cathodes are on the right side (see also schematic).

J5A and B should only show a pattern when the LED of the appr. row is enabled, your description matches with my expectation after power-on.

J10 should show pulses (according to the button matrix) when a button is pressed. Check this at the frontpanel and core module side.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yes, the file format is compatible, and the complete engine is available.

So: you could prepare patterns on a MBSEQV4 and play back on a MBSEQV4L

And vice versa (e.g. step/live recording patterns on a MBSEQV4L is more intuitive)

Just swap the SD Card -> done :)

In fact MBSEQV4L is identical to MBSEQ V4, just only the user interface has been reduced (e.g. a LCD will *never* be supported!)

See also http://svnmios.midibox.org/listing.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsequencers%2Fmidibox_seq_v4_lite%2F

There is a separate hardware configuration file called MBSEQ_HW.V4L (instead of MBSEQ_HW.V4) to avoid clashes with the different hardwares.

yes, it's available as well (-> transpose button)

yes, all CV outputs are available, but only two gates since J5A/B is connected to the button/led matrix

(J28 provides DIN Sync Clock, Start/Stop, Gate of CV#1 and CV#2)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

First of all I want to thank you for your help and tell you how much I appreciate your and Christian's help!

Second, I would really need your help in order to build this, as I have never built or programmed a THING!

Third, I would be interested to have the CV outs (how many are they?) and the 2 gate outs so I can drive my

modular synths, etc. Thank you in advance!

I can help you at least with a link to background informations about the CV option:

For additional build instructions, I'm unsure which articles you've already read, what is unclear, etc...

Maybe a (ex-)newbie can help you when he describes the build from his view.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Just stopping by to say that my case arrived from Ponoko last night and it looks great! However, I want to make a few adjustments before I share my case design. So for anyone that's waiting, hang in there, I haven't forgotten to post it.

Can't wait :ahappy:

• 3 weeks later...

I just have one quick question,

does the Midibox SEQ 4 have all the midi looping functionality of the 4 LE?

And can you have 16 Live MIDI looping tracks with the full blown SEQ?

As opposed to 2 Live tracks with the 4 LE.

Thanks in advance.

does the Midibox SEQ 4 have all the midi looping functionality of the 4 LE?

Yes, it has the same live recording mode.

And can you have 16 Live MIDI looping tracks with the full blown SEQ?

As opposed to 2 Live tracks with the 4 LE.

Yes! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.