MIDIbox SEQ V4Lite

TK.

Hi folks -

Is there an available gerber, .dxf or other mechanical/mcad file detailing the component holes on this pcb? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the board layout is not public? I bought a board from SmashTV so I don't strictly need the board file (although it would be simpler). I'm engineering a snap together case so i'd just like to base my design on the most accurate dimensions available. My goal is to model the pcb and make a CAD assembly including switches, mounting hardware, etc, and make a front panel based on the component footprints. I'm happy to share my work for people who want to use different switches, they would just need to change the model of the cap used and the front panel would recalculate the dimensions based on the new model.

The .svg file provided by cd_reloaded is a little odd... the traces and throughholes are part of the same splines, which makes it incredibly tedious to remove the traces and leave only the holes. I was able to convert the .svg to .ai and import into solidworks like that, but... it imports as a huge file made up of tiny line segments rather than arcs, circles, etc. It's a bit of a mess to work with...

Anyways, I think i've read through this thread 2-3 times now, but before i start doing this the "harder" way, I figured i'd check in and see if I'm missing the obvious

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks -

Hope i'm not missing the obvious here, but i have a copy/paste question:

I can copy/paste from Seq1 to Seq2 no problem. But if I have a 16 step pattern in bar 1, Is it possible to copy/paste to bar 2, and then change the length to 32 steps? Or is this sort of functionality achieved in a different way? 

Edit: for clarification, I'm looking to record a 1 bar pattern, and duplicate it to bars 2,3,4, so then i can add different notes to the different bars. 

Thanks!

Edited by jab

It would be possible with the big brother MIDIbox SEQ V4 (without Lite) since the UI supports this - but the handling requires a LCD and GP encoders to shift the copied range to the new position.

It isn't possible with MBSEQ V4L, and no, I won't add a special (difficult to remember and therefore never used) button combination.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK, I can see how that is not the intended use case for the lite. And sorry if It seemed like I was asking for a new custom feature that only benefits me - I've never had a sequencer like this before so I'm still learning how to do things!

Edited by jab

• 2 months later...

I've got two V4L frontpanels that I don't use anymore.  If you can't find a PCB and don't mind getting one that's already completely soldered, I could sell you one of mine.  Both have minor problems with a couple of the LEDs not lighting, but otherwise work fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to get a program change midi message to pass through my SeqV4L using Abelton Live, but it's not happening, all 4 SeqV4L ports show up in Abelton, and note values/timing clock do pass through. I've tried sending on all midi channels, only thing I see on the Midi-Ox at the other end is  a pitch bend, any thoughts of what I might be doing wrong?

• 9 months later...
On 6.12.2011 at 8:40 PM, cd_reloaded said:

@ all: You need a vector based graphics program to work with the files I provided. This is not a ready-to-order-file. It is a cool basis to do what you want to do.

So, as mentioned before you need Adobe Illustrator, Corel-Draw or a similar programm. If anybody knows a really good working freeware tool to handle SVG-Files, please be so kind and let us know.

PS: I just found out that there is a suitable freeware program to handle these files. It is calles "Inkscape" and you can use it on a Windows-PC or on a Mac. Here is the link to Inkscape: http://inkscape.org/

I'm always in a lack of time so I'm not able to provide a file for a closed case wich is ready to use at the moment. As soon as I have a few minutes left I will do that.

What I have here is the original SVG File wich I took as the basis to built my acrylpanels. Maybe this is helpful for any one of you. This SVG file was exported from KiKad, wich is the layout software I used to make the board.

This SVG file is in 1:1 scale and the measures are 100% exact. You can download this file here:

MB_SEQ_V4L-brd.zip

Hi, sure that is 1:1 if i load the svg in corel the dimension of the front is 202,5x82.5mm, the pcb herself had dimension 250x100mm ?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is anyone still alive on this forum?

I have purchased all the parts, PCBs, etc. to bulid the SeqLite and

gave up at the very end, when the LEDs would lit up in a certain

sequence, then they would go off and that was it. I want to find

someone to finish it for me, I would pay for it. Otherwise, is there

anyone who wants to buy these from me? I wrote on this forum

before but I did not get any help. 

• 4 weeks later...

TK. asked me to rework the PCB, so after a bit of down time on a delayed train:

large.5704189d6e334_V4Lv1.1.png.226908e9

• It's the same basic layout as before, except that the shift registers are on board. This means only a single ribbon connector to the Core is needed = easy wiring.
    • or could we feature-creep an LCD/OLED in?
  • Accordingly there are some pullup/current limiting resistors added, but the 595 should be able to sink the cathode rows without transistors. 
  • 3* SOIC16 chips, 3 1206 caps, very easy to solder! The remainder is THT.
  • OCD dummy resistor package if you want it to look more symmetrical :happy:
  • Expansion header e.g. for DOUT gates etc.
  • I adjusted a few labels, like changing Tempo to BPM to be more consistent with the SEQ, Program is spelled out fully it's progression isn't it? and Record modes are factorised. 
  • More mounting holes.
  • Switches are the D6 type because:
    • reasonably priced
    • readily available
    • multiple colours (and shapes like square and flat round) possible
    • high quality, they still work well in a project I started 10 years ago

It might be possible to add another switch footprint, so tell me if there's a particular switch you'd like to use and I'll see what I can do. I won't consider the TL1100 series because they exhibit serious problems with reliability after a year or two. 

As long as there's interest I'm happy to do a PCB run.

Edited by latigid on

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hurray, progress with the new frontpanel! :-)

But from my point of view, the additional labels, and also the SEQ1/2 lines, are more confusing than helping. They are above LEDs which don't belong to the appr. functions.

It would be better to remove them.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Just now, TK. said:

Hurray, progress with the new frontpanel! :-)

But from my point of view, the additional labels, and also the SEQ1/2 lines, are more confusing than helping. They are above LEDs which don't belong to the appr. functions.

It would be better to remove them.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for checking, to clarify do you mean just the extra labels on the top of the board or scale/note/divider as well?

I mean all helper labels.

ARM selection labels at the top: don't belong to the top LEDs, they belong to the GP leds when ARM page is selected

SEQ1/SEQ2 lines at the top: don't belong to the top LEDs as well

Scale selection labels below above position LEDs: don't belong to these LEDs, they belong to the GP LEDs when the Scale page is selected.

Remaining helper label line under GP buttons: under these circumstances doesn't make sense anymore... either all GP functions will be labeled at the right place, or they won#t be labeled at all, and users have to find a different way to memo the assignments - I would remove this line as well

Summary: remove "helper" labels and SEQ1/SEQ2 helper lines

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'll try to explain what I meant. The labels are not intended to indicate LED function but instead give the position of the GP button to press when in certain modes. For example, I wouldn't immediately remember an Ionian mode was on GP#14 when selecting a scale, nor a quick selection of 1/16T for tempo/divider on GP#11. The notes are directly associated with the GP button, maybe we could even consider a "303" type of note entry recording with them.

For me, the clear, tempo, scale, and mute functions are the least intuitive, but I haven't built nor used a SEQ V4L, so I can't say how quickly one learns these off by heart in practice. As we've discussed before, some people are more adept at menu programming than others :).

I agree that the top positions are the most separated from GP buttons, and probably not too hard to memorise (I'm sure they'd be welcome for debutants though :) ).

Does this make more sense? I know for my own case I would rather have these labels than not.

Best,
Andy

I'm aware of your intentions, but it doesn't work for me.

Putting labels at the wrong place leaves a very bad user impression.
It's a no-go for a good frontpanel layout.
It's clear that you intent to add them as a reminder for GP button assignment, but not there!

For learning purposes somebody could just print out a template and place it over or under the device, but later he won't need it anymore (or only if he didn't use the device for a long time).

Btw.: the labels will also reduce flexibility for future improvements.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

In the end I've ordered PCBs with the top "track" and scale info labels removed. I kept the note and divider labels. They're minor functions with much smaller size than the "main" labelling of GP/function buttons, so not very intrusive IMO.

They're in the "right place" and I doubt they will become obsolete, especially as you've said you're not actively developing the V4L much further. For the suggestion that because everything can't be labelled explicitly, no function should get extra labels, I humbly disagree. Looking through the V4L user manual, many modifiers such as groove/delay/humanizer are intuitive as the "amount" is proportional to the GP button pressed, so you'll know exactly what you're getting. The other four I mentioned are quite confusing without a guide (paper template... hmmm) and are "critical" functions when performing live to maintain timing or pitch. 

The "lite" version of the SEQ is meant as a lower cost version of the SEQ, and an even lower cost is achievable with a transparent case. Some might find the PCB labels annoying or sub-optimal, or might not even like the colour of the PCBs (will be yellow/black :doubt:)! In this situation, they're free to design their own opaque case with custom labelling.

I'm looking forward to the PCBs and a new direction for SEQ V4L.

Best,
Andy