MIDIbox SEQ V4Lite

TK.

This is a sneak preview of the upcoming MIDIbox SEQ V4 Lite, a new project which I'm developing together with Christian aka. CD

Picture of the prototype (built by Christian):

mbseq_lite_proto1.jpg

We are planning to create a PCB for the button/LED matrix, and a Ponoko-like case! :)

Feature list:

• minimalized user interface without LCD. Buttons and LEDs are directly connected to the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module (no DIN/DOUT modules required)
  • 64 LEDs and 48 buttons
  • reduced feature set, optimized for live/step recording -> MIDI Looper
  • each function has a dedicated button
  • only two sequences are available, you can alternate between these sequences, or play both together.
  • it's also possible to enter a new sequence while another sequence is playing
  • sequences have to be entered with an external keyboard in realtime or with the step recording function
  • a sequence consists of up to 64 steps for notes - up to 16 note/velocity/length values can be stored per step (16 note polyphony)
  • CCs and Pitchbender are recorded as well with 4x step resolution (64th)
  • sequence length can be set from 1..64 steps (also uneven lengths are supported)
  • note transpose via keyboard
  • layers are auto assigned on incoming CCs, up to 19 CCs layers can be recorded into a sequence
  • MIDI events are sent via MIDI, USB, OSC (ethernet) and optionally also via CV (AOUT/AOUT_LC/AOUT_NG)
  • MIDI clock as Master or Slave; Tap Tempo function
  • Copy/Paste/Clear/Undo function
  • sequences can be stored/restored on/from SD Card

Sounds like a simple sequencer project, but now the special gimmicks which are possible thanks to the mighty MBSEQ V4 engine which is running in background. :)

On the recorded sequence, following effects can be applied:

• step progression parameters (steps forward/backward, repeat, skip, interval)
    • Groove templates (step delay/velocity/note length changes) e.g. for Shuffle, Swing, velocity modulations, etc...
    • Echo Effects (!!!)
    • Humanizer (randomization of MIDI events)
    • different LFO effects on Note Pitch, Velocity, CC values
    • Force to Scale with selectable root note
    • Effects are stored as presets (important for live usage), and can be changed by editing configuration files on SD Card.

The firmware is almost ready, but we will need some time for optimizing (while using it) to make it perfect! :)

/edit: Video:

/edit2: Vimeo Link (much better audio quality!!!):

/edit3: prototype PCB is ready! :)

gallery_3436_129_56762.jpg

More pictures later in this thread.

/edit4: prebuilt binary now available under http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_download.html

/edit5: project has been officially release; project page: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_lite.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

:thumbsup: I love it!

any comments? no?

It will be the ultimate live-tool. Think about it: 1 SEQ for 1 Synth. Editing is easier tham a 101 Sequencer and way more flexible and versatile. The aim is to keep it simple and to be able to generate cool patterns and alternations of patterns within just a few seconds (and less) without having to dive deep into menues ....

Anybody here who thinks like me? Any suggestions ....

Edited by cd_reloaded

I'm only planning a LPC17 release, but with some adaptions it should run on a STM32 as well.

Since J10 (the 8-bit IO port) isn't available on the STM32, the button matrix would have to be connected to different pins which are not used anywhere else.

Or shift registers could be used, connected to J8/9

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hiya,

I get a good feeling about this project but have a couple of questions.

1. Will it be possible to transfer patterns between the lite v4 and the seq v4?

2.Will it incorporate the arpeggiator?

3.Can the cv out be used to control analogue synths?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but if you don't ask you don't get to find out.

cheers

Paul

1. Will it be possible to transfer patterns between the lite v4 and the seq v4?

yes, the file format is compatible, and the complete engine is available.

So: you could prepare patterns on a MBSEQV4 and play back on a MBSEQV4L

And vice versa (e.g. step/live recording patterns on a MBSEQV4L is more intuitive)

Just swap the SD Card -> done :)

In fact MBSEQV4L is identical to MBSEQ V4, just only the user interface has been reduced (e.g. a LCD will *never* be supported!)

See also http://svnmios.midibox.org/listing.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsequencers%2Fmidibox_seq_v4_lite%2F

There is a separate hardware configuration file called MBSEQ_HW.V4L (instead of MBSEQ_HW.V4) to avoid clashes with the different hardwares.

2.Will it incorporate the arpeggiator?

yes, it's available as well (-> transpose button)

3.Can the cv out be used to control analogue synths?

yes, all CV outputs are available, but only two gates since J5A/B is connected to the button/led matrix

(J28 provides DIN Sync Clock, Start/Stop, Gate of CV#1 and CV#2)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Let me suggest a perhaps difficult but incredibly useful feature:

Imagine being able to instantly load and play stored sequences from the SD card (or maybe cached in memory) simply by sending a midi note.

This would allow you to trigger various sequences on the fly using half of a midi keyboard. They could either latch, play once or play only for the duration that the note is held.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

Let me suggest a perhaps difficult but incredibly useful feature:

Imagine being able to instantly load and play stored sequences from the SD card (or maybe cached in memory) simply by sending a midi note.

This would allow you to trigger various sequences on the fly using half of a midi keyboard. They could either latch, play once or play only for the duration that the note is held.

This isn't difficult to implement since this function is already available -> Load button.

Currently the pattern can only be changed with the GP buttons (left half: select A..H, right half: select 1..8 -> makes 64 patterns) or with a MIDI keyboard if you press the free definable remote key + GP key.

I don't think that an additional MIDI control capability is required, since the current solution is already very intuitive - e.g. with the remote function you can also enable/disable recording or Fx features from your MIDI keyboard. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: this reminds me that everybody who built the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module could try out MBSEQV4L without additional hardware by just controlling it from a MIDI keyboard

Hiya Thorsten,

Is there a schematic for the control surface available anywhere?

I know you are looking at a complete pcb solution but I would just like to knock one of these up to play with while things get rolling.

Apologies for being impatient but you know what it's like when a temptation is dropped in front of you like this.yes.gif

cheers

Paul

Oh YES,

that's a very useful and live-friendly approach,

seeing those awesome recording-features combined

with a immediate UI.

Maybe there's room in that concept for havin the option

to half the parameterlayers and get 4 tracks instead of

two? But since data transfer with the big SEQ is possible,

one could use this as sketch pad for 1-2 complex tracks, which

can be copied on-the-fly to the "big" SEQ (that could serve the job of

being a multiple complex-tack player).

I can imagine this SEQlite as a really slick design together

with a little harmonic table-keyboard :w00t:

The step/live recording mode has been improved dramatically, the changes will be available in MBSEQ V4.048 as well! :)

looking forward to this! :frantics:

cheers!

Maybe there's room in that concept for havin the option

to half the parameterlayers and get 4 tracks instead of

two?

In theory this is possible, but in practice I want to make this MBSEQV4L variant as simple as possible with a straightforward workflow and without too many options.

If you need more options, create an own firmware variant (requires programming skills) or build a MBSEQV4

But since data transfer with the big SEQ is possible,

one could use this as sketch pad for 1-2 complex tracks, which

can be copied on-the-fly to the "big" SEQ (that could serve the job of

being a multiple complex-tack player).

yes, this is possible.

And vice versa: you can playback all 16 tracks which have been prepared on a MBSEQV4 with the MBSEQV4L

I can imagine this SEQlite as a really slick design together

with a little harmonic table-keyboard :w00t:

yes, why not cannibalizing a cheap MIDI keyboard and building MBSEQV4L into the case? :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.