Midi router questions @ IIC module / router

CatOrg

Hello and thanks to those who helps, that make midi really friendly :thumbsup:

(Btw: I bought a PIC-programmer and felt in love with it :ahappy: )

After studying this MIDI, Midibox and DIY stuff, I came to the conclusion the best for me (organ console for Virtual Pipe organ, 3 manuals, 1 pedal, 1 scanner for stops, 1 AIN and a beginner for assembly the parts to a working all) would be a combination of 5 x Petkov-scanner (http://www.reocities.com/JDPetkov/Hardware/midikeyb/mkcs.gif ; I just feel stupid to use this marvellous PIC-core for only a so basical job like scanning), connected over 4 x IIC-modules to a PIC-Core , the 5th scanner connected directly to the PIC-core (and a commercial MIDI-USB)

And thats all my question: does a PIC-core used as router accept 4 x midi-IN + a 5th midi-IN directly in the IN of the core and a pot connected also to one analog ports of the 18f?

And last question: Is there reasons to not do so like I am planning?

Thanks in advance!

Francois

This solution is probably more expensive than really required.

How about MIDIO128 V3, which allows you to do this all from a single 32bit core: http://www.ucapps.de/midio128.html

It supports up to 16 matrices (what you call "scanner").

It has USB MIDI integrated.

And it supports analog inputs. :)

-> No additional MIDI router required and minimum latency (especially since USB MIDI is used as transport protocol :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This solution is probably more expensive than really required.

Dear Thorsten,

Was für eine Ehre! Danke für die schnelle Antwort ;-)

The midibox 128 v 3 is very impressive. Wow, connecting two consoles to the same computer, or a 5-man. Theater-organ with Aftertouch on all keyboards... all with maximal 7 little boards.

To be honnest, the smd cores make me problem. Speaking of the LPC, soldering myself -newbie- is excluded (no mention the boards printing) or let it sold from an experienced electronician is not easy.

Buy it is also quite impossible here in Colombia. We have unsure post-traffic, and I dont have a credit card, thats the must to pay embeddedartists (bank-transfer are here impossible, they pretext anti-narco laws, but in fact the banks here profit very well of isolation - think: Kreditzins: 33% per year).

So I came to this solution as a f-u-l-l - D-I-Y - solution with parts that are all existing here. A pre-assembled 128 v 3 would be nicer. (But well, I should have had let my Colombia-girlfriend come to Germany, I would still have my house organ etc. but I am happy here, so just making the best of it).

On the other side, we get parts quite cheap (16f84 for 1,40, Reichelt 2,50 for comparison, 18f452 for 5,- resistor 1/4W for < 0,01) and I can test all parts before buying, the electronic shops are all close to my job. And the design of the midi-box is really good for newbies.

So if you say, against this way (quite not so elegant) there is nothing, I would at least begin with it, till the intercontinental situation betters...

To be honnest, the smd cores make me problem. Speaking of the LPC, soldering myself -newbie- is excluded (no mention the boards printing) or let it sold from an experienced electronician is not easy.

All SMD parts are already pre-soldered on the LPCXPRESSO LPC1769 module which can be directly ordered in some national online shops (e.g. Mouser: Part #924-EA-XPR-003 for US $ 34)

So, it's a very DIY friendly solution and thats the reason why I prefer to recommend it meanwhile :)

Buy it is also quite impossible here in Colombia. We have unsure post-traffic, and I dont have a credit card, thats the must to pay embeddedartists (bank-transfer are here impossible, they pretext anti-narco laws, but in fact the banks here profit very well of isolation - think: Kreditzins: 33% per year).

ok, this affects the decision of course!

So if you say, against this way (quite not so elegant) there is nothing, I would at least begin with it, till the intercontinental situation betters...

yes...

So, I think that the MIDI Router approach will work (although it's a bit cumbersome)

And the AIN module can be serviced as well if you follow this tutorial: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_c_send_ain.html

With following modification in Init() (which has to be inserted into the Init() of the MIDI Router app):

MIOS_AIN_NumberSet(1);
MIOS_AIN_UnMuxed(); // no AINX4 module used
MIOS_AIN_DeadbandSet(7); // should be 7 when 7bit resolution is used
[/code]

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hm... in addition you have to re-configure the iic_midi.asm driver: http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fmodules%2Fiic_midi%2Fiic_midi.inc

because J5 inputs are normaly used for the RI_N pins...

The problem: configuring J5 for mixed purposes isn't straightforward (has been improved a lot on the MIOS32 platform).

I can't give you a valid configuration without testing this by myself, and I don't know how many places in the code have to be changed to get it working properly.

If you search in this file for "j5" you will find the relevant configuration code (writing mux value into ADCON1) - compare it with the datasheet, it tells you valid analog/digital pin mappings

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hm... in addition you have to re-configure the iic_midi.asm driver:

Best Thanks! With my little understanding of programing, this seems doable.

BTW: I was not really prepared for electronics in coming here to Colombia, since I had an organ next house to my flat and open-house for me all the time. But here I see the world diferently, and I think midibox is specially interesting for third world lands... So thanks again!