MB64 - DAW/mixer controller

tuOMas

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I completed the assembly of my midibox today!

I fired it up and the leds lit up. First thing i noticed, was that the pots and faders worked, but the pots were sending inverted values(I was sure I had the polarity right...)

The buttons did not seem to do anything...should pressing a button show on the LCD? I did not have time to do much testing, but I noticed that the frontpanel might be grounded accidentally, through the button assemblys panel screws. Could this be the reason that the buttons dont work?

Also, after 2 minutes or so after powering the box, the leds and the LCD started "jittering". Could this be a power problem, or perhaps something else?

I will send a few pics in couple of hours.

-Tuomas

(edit) sorry for the crappy pics, will take better ones, when I can borrow a decent camera.

post-7338-0-52292600-1344187110_thumb.jp

post-7338-0-11796900-1344187121_thumb.jp

post-7338-0-79407600-1344187134_thumb.jp

Edited by tuOMas

Hi,

I fixed the pot polarity, but now for some reason 4 of the pots still have inverted values that show up on the LCD. Will look into that...

Buttons still not working...I fixed the leaking ground issue, and made sure that the buttons have the star-grounding in bundles of 8. What could it be? maybe something wrong with the din modules?

The power issue is still there also, I think I need more current, since I'm using 24 leds and a backlit LCD. Anything else then insufficient current, that could be causing the leds and LCD to "blink"?

That's it for now, any help would be really appreciated. :)

-Tuomas

(edit) Forgot to mention, when I powered up the box after fixing the stuff I mentioned, it seemed to go on a bit longer before the leds started blinking. And right before the blinking, there were some random midi messages on the LCD, similarly to when AIN inputs are open. Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

Edited by tuOMas

Hi, guys

The box is running stable now, powerwise that is. I got a new adjustable voltage PSU, and 9 volts with 1,5 amps seems to work ok.

Still no luck with the buttons...I checked connections and they all seem fine. Don't really know what to do with them...

-Tuomas

Hello,

So, after some testing and checking, I've found out that I've made an embarrassing mistake earlier on. I'm using a split cable for the connection between the CORE and DIN/DOUT modules. Somehow I connected these two wrong, so DIN was connected to where DOUT should be and viceversa. I'm telling you this, because it might be important. The DIN and DOUT connections are identical, except for that middle pin. Is there a possibility that I broke something, when I made the wrong connection?

I've switched the cables now and got SOME buttons working.

After powering up, I get the Copyright/version number. After that I get something that looks like this:

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

0 0 0 0 x x x x 0 0 0 0 x x x x

The x's are jittering and that doesn't feel right. The button that I have connected to the "EXECUTE" pin, works and after pressing that, I get the text: SAMPLE BANK DISPLAY. The left and right and the SNAPSHOT buttons do not work.

Some buttons light up a led, while others dont do anything.

MIOS Studio is getting random midisignals, similarily to when AIN inputs are not grounded.

So, I'm making progress, but not sure if it's of the good kind. :)

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

-Tuomas

Edited by tuOMas

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Been busy for a while, but yesterday had some time with the box and made a little progress. It turned out that switching the polarity of my PSU fixed something in the box.

All the menu buttons work now(exec, left, right, snapshot) and I can move around the menu and make changes. The pots work with no problems like before, but now I'm getting jitter from some of the buttons. This shows as constant midi events in MIOS studio, and in the leds that are connected to the jittering buttons via the DOUT shiftregister mapping tool in the midibox64 editor. The leds are flashing, but when a connected button is pressed they stop flashing while the button is held down. Does this imply a soldering mistake? A grounding issue? What causes DIN jitter?

Would it be of any help if you guys could see the list of random events the box is sending? And how could I get those events "printed" from MIOS studio?

Thanks, and as always, any help is highly appreciated!

-Tuomas

EDIT: attached a pic of the midi events coming out of the box...

EDIT 2: All the buttons work, but some of them also jitter. I will try to find out if this has anything to do with any specific shift registers.

post-7338-0-64167400-1351176530_thumb.jp

Edited by tuOMas