Grounding Power Input

Tim B

I've finished my midibox core with a kit from Mike's midi shop. Now I am wondering how to connect the power connector to the board.

I assume + and - go to the J1 connection on the core, but there is also a third pin on the power connector, I assume that is the ground pin, but where do I connect that one to?

Also could someone possibly tell me how I can identify the pins on the power connector (see attached pictures).

Thanks in advance!

post-9749-0-58691900-1315851469_thumb.jp

post-9749-0-64731200-1315851477_thumb.jp

do you have access to a connectivity tester? a multimeter (you need the resistance test) works too. if you connect one tip or clip to the middle tip inside the hole on the front you can measure by probing them with the other cable which of the solder lugs is connected to the tip (R=0 ohms or a beep/light)

one of the other lugs should connect to the outer metal sleeve. you can connect this one to the ground pin too so your metal chassis is grounded that way.

on the core it actually doesn't matter which orientation you choose as there's a rectifier behind the pins.

do you have access to a connectivity tester? a multimeter (you need the resistance test) works too. if you connect one tip or clip to the middle tip inside the hole on the front you can measure by probing them with the other cable which of the solder lugs is connected to the tip (R=0 ohms or a beep/light)

one of the other lugs should connect to the outer metal sleeve. you can connect this one to the ground pin too so your metal chassis is grounded that way.

on the core it actually doesn't matter which orientation you choose as there's a rectifier behind the pins.

Thanks for the fast response Rosch! My father has a multimeter, so I think I'll pay him a visit today! :)