Pots instead of encoders

Abdelrahman-13

Hey MB people... just would like know how to connect pots dedicated to panning on MB LC instead of rotary encoders... should i connect them to the DIN or to the pic... I'm kind of confused about this... and also im a newbie so would appreciate any help on this :)

You cannot use pots in place of encoders in the LC project, you have to keep in mind that this is a mackie control clone, which uses encoders.

To answer you second question about how to connect pots, they are analog so you cannot connect them to DIN (DIGITAL input) you must connect them to AIN (ANALOG input) or you can connect them to port J5 on the core module.

why would you want to use pots for panning anyways? the only advantage would be a visual indication of position, but this is why there are LED rings around the encoders on LC. Also, when you jump over to your next bank of tracks, the pot is no longer in the correct position for the new channel, this is why encoders are superior and the preferred choice, and the only supported choice for LC (which can control unlimited banks of channels, in groups of 8)

hi! & welcome!

i'm no expert about the LC, but generally you'd connect pots to an analog in board (AIN) or directly to the J5 connector on the core.

the DIN module is for digital inputs, like encoders and pushbuttons.

and you might need to adjust the input settings in the firmware setup file unless you keep it stock.

On a Mackie Control (and Midibox LC accordingly), you can always "flip" the controls of the encoders and the faders, so you'd at least have fader control over pan while the encoders control track volume. If you were then, say, using pots instead of faders, you'd have pot control over pan.

This, however, would not make much sense in my opinion, since one of the main attractions of the Mackie control are the motorized faders. You could, however, use motorized pots instead...

You cannot use pots in place of encoders in the LC project, you have to keep in mind that this is a mackie control clone, which uses encoders.

To answer you second question about how to connect pots, they are analog so you cannot connect them to DIN (DIGITAL input) you must connect them to AIN (ANALOG input) or you can connect them to port J5 on the core module.

why would you want to use pots for panning anyways? the only advantage would be a visual indication of position, but this is why there are LED rings around the encoders on LC. Also, when you jump over to your next bank of tracks, the pot is no longer in the correct position for the new channel, this is why encoders are superior and the preferred choice, and the only supported choice for LC (which can control unlimited banks of channels, in groups of 8)

Thanks for the tip.. But im planning to have multiple LCs i think i would go for 24 channels independent of each other so i want have the encoder for the aux send and the pot for the panning i think i won't use the bank switching alot thats why im asking about potientiometers sorry didnt mention that... But thanks for the tip :)