new dj controller concept

Riko Roos

Hi to all,

after djing 20 years in total and 3 years with the m-audio xponent i want to step a little further in controllerism. for this purpose i was looking around a lot and watching new hardware intensively, i found nothing really fitting my needs/expectations. mainly its because they are focused on the platters or have not enough buttons/encoders.

conclusion: build my own top-notch-digital-shyt!

but: i am not very familiar with circuits, even if i am thinking i could solder it together. in addition i read around uCApps, studied the cores, i/o modules and user projects but are still stuck in the fog of boards, chips and cables. now i am calling out loud for some help to clarify the (internal) parts list for the following thingy (it's still a concept now and small layout mods will happen):

facts in words:

- 128 buttons (shown as squares)

- 37 push-encoder (shown as circles, push function not counted with the buttons)

- 26 fader/pots (shown as circles with line at 12 o'clock)

perhaps this sounds a bit overdosed but i wanted a 4 deck/4 fx unit controller with no deck-switching nor more than 2 layers per button.

my current understanding of the available (and up to date) hardware is the following:

i should get

- one LC17 based core

- four DINx4 to connect my push-encoder (111 connections)

- four DOUTx4 for the above LED rings (if wanted)

- one AIN to connect the faders

but now i am stuck with the buttons as my understanding tells me that i need another four DINx4 that have no available port on the LC17 module.

another thought was to get two midibox64e (one for buttons, one for encoders) and one midibox64 for the faders and merge/connect them with a GM5. this solutions seems to be outdated!?

the biggest thanks in advance, and here is the design-concept picture:

post-10167-0-97606200-1318869280_thumb.p

Edited by Riko Roos

A double Twitch?!

NOT BAD......

novation_twitch.jpg

perhaps this sounds a bit overdosed but i wanted a 4 deck/4 fx unit controller with no deck-switching nor more than 2 layers per button.

Not really!

Here are still some harder projects.

about the Parts. I´m not involved, with the LPC technical device.

I can tell you, that 128 analog Pot´s,40 Encoder and 512 Buttons are still possible to integrade with the STM32 Core Board without LPC Module.

but now i am stuck with the buttons as my understanding tells me that i need another four DINx4

In the repository, is a quickie program, with the name csc.

This available to build a console with 2x 16x16 Button Matrix Scan (512 Buttons), 4x AINX4 Boards (128Pots), 40x LED Rings and also 40 Encoders.

I hope it helps you...

Thanks CSC,

this helps a little, i now know that it is possible even with the older (discontinued?) STM32 core. Thanks...

But i am still completely lost about the parts that i need. For now only this is clear:

I need

- 1 LPC17 core (staying up to date)

- 4 DINx4 and 4 DOUTx4 boards connected to J8/J9 for the encoders including their push button function

- 1 AINx4 board connected to J5A (or J5B) for the pots/faders

When i get it right there is the option to connect some multiplexing device to J5B to drive the 128 buttons (digital inputs?). The buttons should have LEDs to, so i need 128 outputs to. And here i am stuck, just don't find the answer to what i need in addition to use one J5 connector to work with digital inputs and where to connect the LEDs (and how for sure).

Anyone else jumping in here?

I am even willing to pay a fair for a presoldered solution!

Thanks in advance

I don´t have precalculated my project yet.

It took around 6 months to build this without the Case and Buttons with LEDs.

If you are interested, can i build a thread for my project, so you can see the facts.

It is a 16 Channel Controller, inspired by Ableton and Traktor to build this.

It has 16 Channels with, 1 Fader (60mm) ALPS, and 7 Analog Pots ALPS (10kOhm with center detend) per channel in Vertical direction.

32 Soft Touch Buttons (non clicker) per channel and 5 Encoder per 2 Channels.

5 Buttons per Channel would be the BLM Matrix / Looper Control or with a good finish App a 5x16 Step Sequencer.

All ther part are from ALPS !

Now it is, to test it, build on a 1000x500mm Plate to test all options before i build it in a case.

It is not good to write down the project without pictures, so IF you want, i thread it down, in this forum.....

"In this case, the option to buy, is based on the words from the Master, T.K. ...

I am not trying to earn money with building this great Stuff.

This is the first project, and the second would come, i knew."

Greets

Chris