LCD without display on MB 6582

weedoo

After a while away, I started playing around with my not completed mb-6582. I am having a weird problem with my LCD. When I turn the device on the only thing I see is the backlight working. There is no text written. I am able to upload the test tone and the mb6582 setup file. Both give the exact same result. I tried 2 different LCD (different brand and model) and both react the same way. Anyone has an idea ?

I'm sure about the wiring, I used the same lcd as in Hawkeye's tutorial, the same wiring. As for shorts, I guess this is the last thing to check for. I'm not the best in electronic. I'm good at soldering but debugging a board is alot for my knowledge. Any other clue ?

Damn... I found it !!! The first LCD I used is fried. The second worked... when I started playing around the potis.... damn me, you guys were right !!! I now get

E002|H128*Ld Chn.16

1***|<Ens. BankStick

Is there any list of error codes available ?

Thanks again guys.

That is no error code, it says Ensemble 2, Patch H128, Lead Instrument, Listening on MIDI Channel 16, SID Pair 1 active in user interface (2-4 not active)

So, have fun with your new fantastic synth!

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok thanks very kind of you to help out!

next dumb question:

Where is the pot located exactly, is it on the display module or the main PCB or erm..?

Thanks in advance, sorry for my newbie questions, I have yet to build my own, I figured the best approach was to acquire a working one to cross reference first * and get to know it inside and out, so I'm coming from a bit of a  reverse 'engineering' approach, if you see what I mean.

* (before attempting a build, I was a bit concerned the whole project had wound down on the forum and I might not be able to get much advice)

SF

Edited by SpaceFire

Search the wiki for "mb6582" and you will find the page with the details.

There's a FAQ on it. Quote:

What is the function of P1 (extreme lower right corner)?

LCD backlight brightness control, just like on the Core module.

The pot for contrast should be somewhere in that area.

• 4 weeks later...

Found it : )

posted here for others also looking in future

Likewise, do I really need to mount pot P2 for the slave cores?

As above, these are the contrast pots for LCDs so they're only useful for troubleshooting. If you want to save on trim pots, you could short between the middle pin and the left or right pin, this would approximate turning the trimpot fully one way and at least let the LCD display something when connected to slave PICs.

Cool thanks Imp, I fixed the contrast, no idea why it was set so low looks great now, it's odd though because if all those pots by the BSL chips are for LED contrast why does only one of them change it?

Thanks,

SF