anyone can help me? MIDI KEYBOARD

adrian4u

i got MIDI keyboard from my friend, inside it looks like this:

http://imageshack.us/g/248/201112041208022.jpg/

What I ned is help with programming and transferring via MIDI (if it's possible).

Issues:

- I want to redefine "zero point" for note-on (for now minimal level is +/- 30)

- redefine modulation wheel

- add Expression pedal

in future:

- add Program Change up/down buttons

- add inputs to get 2 pedals / 2 footswitches / 1 sustain

please help the newbie :)

thanks,

Adrian

I know, but for now I have to get rid of what I have...

It's build on PIC18F452 so I assume it's old project. It has only MIDI IN and OUT - no USB.

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_core_v3.jpg - it looks like this one...

Previous owner said that he can give me a LITTLE help, but he sells this keyboard "as is". So for now I have to solve few very important issues:

1. doubled PitchBend and Modulation controllers don't work properly. It looks that value depends on how far joystick AND wheel are moved.

When one is on nominal - values jump 0-max on second controller.

2. "near zero" values are generated all the time - it's quite uncomfortable especially when I look on it in my DAW

3. Sustain pedal generates 0-64 values - it HAS to be 0-127

4. Aftertouch values jumps between 0 and maximum pressed

5. minimal Note ON value is more-less 20. So there is no very pianissimo. For now it's not important but near future I want to recalibrate all the keys to achieve values between 1 and 127.

I don'n know completly what program should I download to have ability to change these bugs - and even more - I totally can't do it by myself.....

I have two friends only who could help me, but one of them lives few hundreads miles from me, and second is previous owner.

I need serious help, because keyboard is great and I want to keep it, but I have to get rid of these bugs.

Can you - or anybody here - help me?

Edited by adrian4u

I think it sounds more like a MIDIBox 64?

Best place to start is by reading about the different boards and projects at www.ucapps.de

Bits you need to read will include:

Core board

DIn Board

DOut board

AIn board

How many of those do you have inside this keyboard?

Is there an LCD attached?

What I have inside is:

- 1 core board

- 1 MIDI IN-OUT board

- 2 boards with incoming signals from keyboard

and controls:

- 1 Roland style PitchBend-Modulation joystick

- 1 PitchBend wheel

- 1 Modulation wheel

- Aftertouch (from keyboard).

What is wrong:

- Aftertouch values jump between 0 and actual pressure

- the same for modulation (it looks like lever and wheel are generating values even in "zero" position)

- the same for pitchbend

What I want to add:

- Expression pedal

Unfortunatelly I don't have any idea how to make changes I need, it looks like a magic for me....

I want to learn how to do it, but I desperately need help in first steps with this project.

OK, first step is to read the site, everyone will tell you this.

Have you read anything yet?

Looking at your photos, you don't seem to have an LCD attached? Can you get one? This would tell you what application is running which would help you.

Where are you located?

Can you post some more pictures of the boards?

What I have inside is:

- 1 core board

- 1 MIDI IN-OUT board

- 2 boards with incoming signals from keyboard

MIDI ports should be located on the core board, so your "MIDI IN-OUT board" is probably just a PCB that holds the physical connectors. "2 boards with incoming signals from keyboard" could be either a DIN/DOUT board setup for a scan matrix, or whatever else. As sparx said, you will have to read up in order to be able to describe properly what setup you have. Only then we can try to help you.

Thanks for replay.

I read ucapps.de and try to understand basics, I'm not (believe me) one of those people, who don't want to know, just want to get instant answer.

More Photos - I'll do it in the evening. But there's nothing more to show. It look like it's simple project: 88 keys keyboard with dynamic and aftertouch, MIDI IN and OUT, Pitchbend-Modulation lever, PitchBend wheel, Modulation Wheel, Sustain pedal input..... no LCD (I will buy one - 2x16 or 2x20 characters?), no more pots or sliders.

I'm from Poland

On photos you can see all the PCB's inside enclosure. there's nothing more than one core PCB and two "matrix" PCBs. It looks like they are AIN modules (or DIN modules????), connected stright to keyboard and to Core module.

Edited by adrian4u

adrian4u,

you should start by identifying the ICs that are on the "matrix" PCBs (most probably 74HCxxx - see what the xxx is on yours). Then we know if those are DIN or DOUT boards, or both, or AIN.

Next, you should install MIOS Studio. Connect both MIDI in and out to out and in ports of your computer, tell MIOS Studio which MIDI ports your keyboard is connected to (in case you have more than one MIDI I/O in your system), and see what message you get when you power up your keyboard and press the "Query" button. We are interested in the content of the box that starts with "Operating System: MIOS8".

For my suggestions above you do not need an LCD at all.

Whether you get a 2x16 or 2x20 does not matter much - I would go for the 2x20 if costs were comparable, because there is more screen space. If that screen space is actually used depends of the software running on your MIDIbox, which is still unknown...

• 2 weeks later...

Next, you should install MIOS Studio. Connect both MIDI in and out to out and in ports of your computer, tell MIOS Studio which MIDI ports your keyboard is connected to (in case you have more than one MIDI I/O in your system), and see what message you get when you power up your keyboard and press the "Query" button. We are interested in the content of the box that starts with "Operating System: MIOS8".

I have been trying to give you some support and point you in the right directions, but it seems you prefer to ignore these hints. You should probably consider dropping the whole project and turn to the guy who sold you this stuff. :sad:

sm_16x16_fatar_88wood_V2009.rar

That code is based on Thorsten's experimental fast switch matrix demonstration project. A few people have gotten things sort of working based on it but it has never advanced to the point of being a solid project.

I'm not sure but MIDIO128 v3 might include support for a switch matrix. If it does, switching to that project probably would be a good idea. There will be more people who can help if you are using a mainstream project. [[Edit: I just looked and MIDIO128 v3 uses a different Core board. I wouldn't switch the Core for now since you have something that is basically working.]]

The biggest challenge is to get switch matrix code that handles velocity sensitivity. CuBase has reported the greatest success in this area and your code is probably based on his efforts.

Unfortunately what you are trying to do is not a beginner project. This type of thing presents challenges even to more experienced MidiBox users. You need to be very patient as you climb a steep learning curve. You probably will need to do several things that are less than all you want to do just to learn. One beauty of MidiBox is that it is easy to replace the software so you can start with easier, less functional software and then build on it.

This type of project should be discussed under "Midification" where it is slightly more likely that people with experience in this type of project will notice you. This area is for questions about assembly language programming. You might have those types of questions along the way but you are asking bigger questions right now.

Your first step is to be able to build the code you have, without changes, and successfully load it on the MidiBox. Have you done that yet?

Edited by jimhenry

3. Sustain pedal generates 0-64 values - it HAS to be 0-127

Your second step, the first one where you will actually make a change, is to find the sm_fast.inc file and then find this section of that file:

COL_12_other

movlw	0x0f

cpfseq	SM_BUTTON_ROW

goto	SEND_PRG_CH

SUSTAIN_PROCEDURE

movf    SM_CH_STATUS, W

addlw	0xb0

movwf	MIDI_EVNT0

movlw	0x40

movwf	MIDI_EVNT1

movlw	0x01

CPFSEQ	MIOS_PARAMETER2

goto	SEND_SUSTAIN_40

movlw	0x00

goto	SEND_SUSTAIN

SEND_SUSTAIN_40

movlw	0x40

SEND_SUSTAIN

movwf	MIDI_EVNT_VALUE

call	MIDI_EVNT_Send	

return

Under SEND_SUSTAIN_40 change "movlw 0x40" to "movlw 0x7f".

Build and load the project. Test your sustain pedal. If it now sends 127 when pressed, you can do the following cleanup:

change "goto SEND_SUSTAIN_40" to "goto SEND_SUSTAIN_7F"

change "SEND_SUSTAIN_40" to "SEND_SUSTAIN_7F"

These two changes don't affect how the project works. They are just to keep the code clear.

Congratulations! You've just taken the first step up the mountain. Have a glass of Polish vodka.

Thanks, I've was thinking it's just a simple setup with Sustain, somewhere in code (setting min and max value).

About a project - in a fact this is projest from CuBase I think (I don't know if this guy is present on this forum, but I can suppose that this is the person.

He told me he had problems with this project, tears blood and sweat. Project is almost done, most irritating things are PitchBend, Modulation, AfterTouch. While PB and MOD wheels are doubled, so they go crazy if one PB is set to "0" and second is higher/lower; AT just acts like sending impulses of "0" and "actual" value.

I will try to record it at home.

Jim,

Keyboard project is operational, with some bugs I described above: main issues are PB, MOD and AT controllers. I would like to change Velocity response too (for now it starts from value +/- 20 instead of 1), but in this point it's not as important, because it works good as it is.

Thank you very much for help in finding Sustain lines, Now I have to make changes in code, compile it and load to CORE. Which one MIDI Studio should I to use? this one in attachement (few post above) or this one from uCApps download?

I would suggest trying the current version of MIOS Studio and all the tools first. You may find that there are things in the project code that need to be updated in order to build successfully with these tools.

If you are really stumped trying to use the current versions of the tools, then fall back to the tools that are the same vintage as the project code. The downside is that it will be more difficult to get help if you need help with the tools.

I haven't built a MidiBox project for a long time so I can't offer more specific help. Hopefully someone else will add more up to date advice.

well, before I go to journey I have to start with first step ;)

so I will try both: to use what I have from previous owner, especially that he promised to help me if I'll stuck.

and

to use up to date version of MIOS Studio.

We will see what will happen :)

It looks that uCApps comunity is very special, because even on "my" forum, where I'm one of moderators, you won't find so helpful people sometimes.

Maybe, when I'll learn more, I'll try to make little add-ons and modify/update some lines in code, but it's song of future.

I concern is it worth to add more controllers (LCD, program/bank change buttons or dialer, free assignable pots and buttons), or leave it as it is - a great hammer action masterkeyboard only.

Edited by adrian4u

I concern is it worth to add more controllers (LCD, program/bank change buttons or dialer, free assignable pots and buttons), or leave it as it is - a great hammer action masterkeyboard only.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Start by working on the issues you have with the keyboard as is. When all that is to your satisfaction you can decide if you want to go further. You'll know a lot more then and you can make a better decision.