Playing multiple instruments?

dtg84

I am still new to sammichSID. I am not sure how to play the two SIDs in a multi-timbral mode across different MIDI channels.

Reading the manual online, I found the explanation of "instruments" and "channels" confusing. It lists three instruments: "lead", "bassline", and "drum". Then it says that the fourth instrument is "multi" where all six instruments are used. But only see three possible instruments.

By default, Instrument 1 was set to channel 1. All the other instruments are disabled.

So if I set up in my custom ensemble E002 the following:

INS 1 CHN 1

INS 2 CHN 2

INS 3 CHN 3

INS 4 CHN --

... . ... ..

But when I send MIDI data out of channel 2 and 3, nothing happens. Channel 1 sends output and I can hear audio. The way the manual reads, channel 2 should be triggering the Bass instrument, and channel 4 should be triggering the drum instrument, but I don't get either - just response from sending MIDI out from sequencer to sammichSID.

Also, a point of clarification, my sammichSID lists only SID1 as available ( "1***" ), though I have two 8580s installed.

Thanks

There is a multi engine which is basically like the "lead" engine but allows you to assign different waveforms to multiple MIDI channels for a single SID pair. This is unlike using ensembles as they let you use multiple patches across multiple SID pairs - basically it's how you would assign patches to the multiple stereo pairs. Since the Sammich only has 1 stereo pair, you can largely ignore that feature.

I've only had success using the multi engine when using the SID patch editor but you can do it on the synth directly (probably not as easy though).

Keep in mind that though you can do some pretty neat things with the multi engine, the SID's filter is global. I have had the most luck using each SID in the stereo pair independently, so one does lead, the other bass. Works pretty well for my needs.

Thanks. Another difficulty I am having is switching patch banks. I saved a patch to bank B, but from the panel I don't know how to switch from Bank A to B. I have looked over the manual online, but I can't find any discussion of this. If i hold down "menu" and hit the arrows, i can cycle through ensembles. If i hit the arrows i can cycle through patches on the current bank. I have tried multiple combinations but can't figure it out for the life of me!

I think you press the left-most button below the LCD. Or rightmost? I forget :) Once you know how to do it, it's easy though (as I remember, anyway)

Nope. That doesn't seem to work. Pressing any of the buttons below the LCD (except the leftmost) will put you in the patch editor submenu. If i press the arrows it will just change patches within the current bank.

In the Ensemble->SID menu, there is a section called "Bnk" for what I am assuming means bank. It currently says it is on bank "A". However, under Ensemble->SID->Bnk menu, if I hit the arrow it just says [not here!]. WTF? Why should changing patch banks be this complicated?

OK, I figured it out. In the current submenu, you turn the encoder one step to the right from A to reach B. But the submenu doesn't give you any indication that you have switched banks until you go back to the Ensemble->SID menu. Oh well.

Edited by dtg84