Add LCD's to a BCF2000

kwilcox

I'm pretty sure I'm asking a very noobish question. I have searched on the forums and wiki, but have not found the answers in a way I can understand.

I use a Behringer BCF2000 8 channel controller with Reaper. I have all the functionality of a Mackie MCU EXCEPT for no scribble strips (LCD display). Since I'm on Windows, I do have the luxury of using Behringer's BCFView, which is a small application that emulates the LCD display of a Mackie. But the BCFView still must be on my computer screen, so there is a disconnect between the display and the actual controller.

What I would like to do is to add a two line display that I could physically attach to the BCF2000, that would display the same information I presently see in the BCFView application.

I believe the hardware side of this is relatively easy. I THINK all I need are:

Core LPC17 module PCB

(2) 2x40 LCD displays

Power supply

If I'm missing hardware from that list, please help.

But I have no clue about how the software side of things. How would the new displays know what to show?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

A Logic Control emulation with character LCD support for MIOS32 isn't available yet, but will be available as part of "MIDIbox NG" in some weeks...

On the other hand: I remember that somebody did the same like you (upgrading a BCF2000) with the old PIC based MBHP_CORE module + two 2x40 LCDs by using the MIDIbox LC firmware.

This solution should be sufficient, there is no advantage of you would use the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like I had the hardware wrong too, so thanks for the correction.

But I'm still unclear on how the displays get their information. In my current setup, the BCF (in Mackie emulation mode) is sending the proper information to the BCFView application. Does the existing Midibox software understand the same information? And how are the displays physically connected to the BCF?

As I said, I searched the forum and did find others who seemed to be doing the same thing, but the threads I found are not complete.

I really appreciate the help and the hand holding.

Unfortunately I can't tell you the exact configuration steps, since I neither use the software, nor this hardware.

I only remember that a german guy got this running with a Behringer Controller, but I can't find the posting anymore. It could either be in the german, or in the "MIDIbox of the Week" forum section.

Somebody else did something similar:

but he enhanced Tascam controllers instead of Behringers... the approach could be different.

However, it should work this way: your DAW sends the display content to the virtual Mackie Control (BCFView) in a SysEx stream.

The same stream has to be sent to the core module, the MBLC firmware decodes the SysEx data and updates the LCDs.

There is no special configuration required to get this working, just upload the MBLC app, connect two 2x40 LCDs, forward the stream to the core module -> done

Btw.: does the BCF2000 controller receive the complete Mackie Control stream directly, or does it get filtered/converted commands from BCFView?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Unfortunately I can't tell you the exact configuration steps, since I neither use the software, nor this hardware.

I only remember that a german guy got this running with a Behringer Controller, but I can't find the posting anymore. It could either be in the german, or in the "MIDIbox of the Week" forum section.

Somebody else did something similar:

but he enhanced Tascam controllers instead of Behringers... the approach could be different.

However, it should work this way: your DAW sends the display content to the virtual Mackie Control (BCFView) in a SysEx stream.

The same stream has to be sent to the core module, the MBLC firmware decodes the SysEx data and updates the LCDs.

There is no special configuration required to get this working, just upload the MBLC app, connect two 2x40 LCDs, forward the stream to the core module -> done

Btw.: does the BCF2000 controller receive the complete Mackie Control stream directly, or does it get filtered/converted commands from BCFView?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Ok, I'm beginning to understand. Sorry to imply I was looking for a step-by-step (well, I'll take it if it's available!). I'm willing to learn and apply, though.

I did some more searching and found this thread again: which to me implies that I would be connecting the Midi Thru from the BCF to the Midi In on the midibox LC.

To answer your last question, the BCF2000 receives the Mackie Control stream directly from the DAW. BCFView is not required at all, it's just an emulation of the original MCU LCD's. In fact, in the BCFView application, you need to select the Midi device for the application to receive it's data from (i.e., the BCF2000), so the idea of connecting the midibox via the thru port of the BCF2000 seems to make sense.

It looks like I'd have about $50US invested in this. If it works, I think it would be worth it. It would still be nice to see someone's completed version of this, though. It appears there are lots of people who have had this idea, but all the threads discussing it end with no confirmation that it actually HAS been done.