Is playing back Adlib (a2m/amd/rad etc) files possible?

lazerbeat

It's probably feasible but to my knowledge not implemented. The ASID protocol was already established so it was more easily adopted with MidiBox. The easier route may be to see if there is a mapping between the MBFM CC and SysEx messages that can be used to modify the source player to send the proper MIDI messages to MBFM. Just thinking aloud here, so I can't claim that's a good idea :) Just seems like the easier route to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, adlib tracker II was released as open source some time ago (even though it's undocumented turbo pascal code)

and i bet you can find the a2m/amd/rad file specs somewhere.

You could open the files in adtrack2 and view the instrument properties and manually create similar sounding patches,

then convert the a2m/amd/rad files to smf (.mid) and play them via e.g. soundgarden or similar with those instruments set.

Not a precise way but at least perhaps worth trying out

That would probably work, save for the any non-note data (like modulation and stuff). I can't remember what effects AdlibTracker supported but I bet you can also translate those using the CC or SysEx idea noted above. Even if one couldn't get that stuff working, just having the patch and note data would go a long way.