Standalone Filter Box using seppomans SSM 2044 PCB
Posted 03 January 2012 - 16:48
Therefore, I thought of possibility of creating a standalone filterbox utilizing SSM filter.
I would like to use it connected to simple monophonic synth, but of course it could be used in many other ways.
Features that I would like to achieve:
- envelopes triggered by midi (Note ON)
- midi syncable LFO
- extensive modulation matrix
- stereo operation (optional 2 x mono mode may be also useful)
- simple step sequencer
It seems to me, that the easiest way to create such a filter is to use midiboxSID or midiboxFM application.
As far as I understand I can use SID synthesis engine as a source of envelope generators, LFO and modulation matrix, but i have some questions:
1. Is it possible to run midibox SID application without connecting SID PCB to the core (using only core8, AOUT-NG DINX2 and SSM PCB) ?
2. Is it very hard to customize SID app to hide SID functionality (LCD menus etc.)?
3. Is there any way of connection AOUT-NG to sammichSID as a temporary solution ?
4. What is the time horizon of transfering SID application to a newer platform (LPC17) ?
I will be grateful for information,
Posted 03 January 2012 - 16:53
All the pieces are there for an MB-Filter application but I don't think there is a dedicated one. The MB-SID might be a bit of a kludge but it would work.
Really, if you distil it down, the filter is controlled by CV so you can built a filter box that takes as input CVs. That way you can control with any solution that can output CVs but just plugging it in, be it an MBSID, an fully analog modular synthesizer, etc. Where the firmware comes in is translating MIDI to CV, but I think there are some USB->MIDI->CV things out there. I recall Deadmau5 had one when he was showing off his modular analog rack in one of his YouTube videos some time ago.
In any case, I'm sort of rambling without answering your questions directly, but hopefully you found some useful tidbits. Let us know what you do as I was also thinking about making a filter box with my SSM2044 stuff (when I get to that point anyway - I still have to finish my rackmount MBSID first).
MBCV to the rescue!
Edited by m00dawg, 03 January 2012 - 17:39.
Posted 04 January 2012 - 14:44
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users