MIDIbox CV V2 Concept

TK.

No, this isn't so easy to implement and leads to an unnecessary complexity which I don't want to support (especially if I don't use this HW by myself).

Actually the LED rings are already too extravagant: whenever you move an encoder, the parameter name and value will be displayed on the 2x20 LCD

Best Regards, Thorsten.

No, this isn't so easy to implement and leads to an unnecessary complexity which I don't want to support (especially if I don't use this HW by myself).

Actually the LED rings are already too extravagant: whenever you move an encoder, the parameter name and value will be displayed on the 2x20 LCD

Best Regards, Thorsten.

ahhh superb .... then the building can start soon .... if I read the FM enough to now what I'm doing :D

well will be a project for 2015 anyway .... 

Greetings, Sascha 

MIDIbox Beginnersquestions: (prepairing for the day .... )

- is there a difference in the Displayoptions (more options or parameters or ....) whether I use a 2x20 or 128x64 LCD?? Was thinking of using a DOGM128 ...
- Doc says "(SCS) allows to edit some (but not all) configuration values ", does than mean that if I wanna enjoy all, I must get an iPad with Lemur??

greetings , Sascha

Edited by Ungleichklang

No, there is no real advantage if you would use a GLCD with 128x64 resolution.

MIOS32 will just show the content with 6x8 pixel characters, which means that up to 21x4 characters could be displayed - but the firmware doesn't use of the additonal two lines. They will appear empty, and this looks ugly!

That's a general rule for any MIDIbox: if a firmware doesn't explicitly support graphical images or more than the standard 2 character lines, the GLCDs are just handled as a dumb output device which emulates a CLCD, and all unused lines are blank.

SCS: most parameters are accessible, which means in other words: I believe that all parameters can be edited, but if I missed one, just let me know and I will add it.

Mostly I use the Lemur based solution, therefore only for this one I can guarantee completeness.

Actually I only use the SCS for quick changes without turning on the iPad, e.g. if I want to check if a CV channel if it's working.

Compared to Lemur the handling is very cumbersome...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yes, a CTRLR based panel is a feasible option - it will be a lot of work for you, but with the Lemur based solution it has been proven that the NRPN based communication is working, and it's also a good reference how to organize the layout.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Can the free DOUT pins be assigned to LEDs for the seven clock outs? It would be nice to have some visual indication here.

My current idea is to have a front panel with the following controls:

Clock out with clock led (8th socket for clock in, LED for this too?)

CV in

CV range switch (0-5, 0-10, -5-+5).

Input attenuator for CV. Possibly this can also act as a fixed 0-5 V control (i.e. just a pot) if nothing is plugged into the CV input.

Feature request: CV inputs can act as momentary or latching "switches" to enable outputs or operate internal controls. As a crude example, see Doepfer's A-151 sequential switch module. (This just distributes a signal to one of four outputs stepped through by a clock.)

http://www.doepfer.de/a151.htm

Ok, I can add these special LED functions without much effort.

Feature request: CV inputs can act as momentary or latching "switches" to enable outputs or operate internal controls. As a crude example, see Doepfer's A-151 sequential switch module. (This just distributes a signal to one of four outputs stepped through by a clock.)

This is already possible in conjunction with the modulation matrix! :)

Several operators are available, such as >=, <= but also S&H (Sample & Hold)

The operations can be applied on two analog inputs, but also between an analog input and an internal modulation source (such as a LFO or ENV)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Another beginners question (sorry if I get annoying) .. but would a CTRLR Panel be an alternative for non-iPad users??

The newer versions seem to support NRPN better than the older one ... 

If yes .. I would be willing to invest some time in this stuff ... 

Lemur is out on Android now.   :smile:

Edited by widdly
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My CV2 is alive!

It's a lpc17 combined with the original Aout, some jacks and a makeshift frontpanel out of wood, bolted to my formant.

No controls, no SCS, no scopes.

Fugly, but works.

I got it talking (and listening) to lemur over ethernet.

Some Observations:

-Notes/Transpose/Portamento etc works.

-The Gates of the old Aout work. They are assigned to channel 1 and 2. No need for a DOUT here.

-I need to enable "usb1" to have a channel put out notes i play on a keyboard connected to MIDIin1. Enabling "MIDIin1" does nothing.

-Env 1 does work, it syncs to keypresses, but returns to the value of the played note, after release. The settings (Attack, delay, etc) don't  change the envelope as i'd expect. It's like the controls are exchanged.

How do i stop that channel from putting out note values?

-Env 2 does something i can't relate to the controls, when "->CV" is set. Fiddling with the settings made the CV2 crash after a while.

-Poly kind of worked yesterday. I had 3 channels connected to one Oscillator each. It played the first note on all channels, while the keys were pressed, then turned to the played chord, when keys were released. I had all channels listening to "usb1" and set to poly. Is that how it's done?

I don't know...maybe it's just me beeing stupid...

Lemur is on ipad (1). The version is 4.1.

I just played around a little more and found out, that the upper row of ENV1 controls is shifted by one.

Delay does nothing, Attack controls delay, Decay controls Attack, sustain controls Decay, release controls sustain.

Edited by Imp

I updated both Lemur and the panel and most of the problems are gone. Yay!

USB1 and Midi1 are still switched, i can live with that.

ENV2-->CV controls ENV1-->CV (the control of ENV1-->CV works as intended, values seem to be added).

If i want to use ENV2, i need to use the MODmatrix.

ENV2+"Force to scale" is so much fun! :rofl:

May i request a "curve" without interpolation?

This thing does so much, i feel like i could sell half of my formant.

It just needs some knobs. And a proper frontpanel.

• 3 weeks later...

Ungleichklang: Lemur is really the way to go here. No need to reinvent the wheel - and think of all the time you save by using TK's pre-built interface.

Re. my build progress:

(I was pretty ill this past year... found out I have a genetic mutation (Gilbert's Syndrome) that makes me sensitive to chemicals, especially soldering :-/ However, I have an excellent soldering-slave who happens to be my spouse :D)

Anyhow, I just got my Formulor order and will soon have pics to show of my MIDIbox CV2 case :D :D :D

FIY, the case at Formulor.de cost 67e and the optional smoked-gray transparent windows were 17e. All the windows aren't necessary if you place 256 holes in the front panel, but I'm sure the price will end up being the same.

I'll post all my design files, BOM and notes in March.

Edited by sneakthief
  • Like 1

novski: I used Formulor.de here in Berlin for this massive order (P3-sized matte black and P1-sized middle-grey transparent).

The only thing I'm not happy with is that I thought I had big enough bumps on the transparent windows to be able to friction-fit everything - but somehow the tolerances weren't as good as I expected and so I had to add small (but not visible) shims to hold them all in place.

Luckily no other "errors". I'll correct the SVG files before posting them here.