Two MIDI inputs?

pinksoir

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it's possible to have two midi inputs on the MIDIbox SID.

The reason is I'm building a full synth with keyboard, and so far that keyboard is using the MIDI in on the Core module. I'd like to have the option to use an external MIDI controller too so I can, for example, have my sequencer/DAW trigger the SID synth.

Cheers,

Karl.

Bah. Seems too complicated for me!

That MIDImerger does look to be the ticket, though, so thanks for the help.

I'd like to have an in the box solution, but anything with firmware that isn't already on the PIC (a la mbSID) makes me anxious!

I guess I'll wait til V3 is out, then I can just replace my V2 with it.

V3 would use the new LPC core, which I think supports 2x MIDI out of the box and also supports MIDI over USB so yeah that should largely resolve it.

But just because it's a separate module doesn't mean you can't have it in the box. If you're building your own chassis you can just have internal connections between the modules - the external observer wouldn't be aware there happens to be a full CORE dedicated to MIDI merging. And doing it that way should keep latency reasonable (just an educated guess there).

Ok. Actually, it looks like Mike sells midimerger kits on his shop. I have to buy another SID module soon anyway so I'll probably get one then.

Does it just connect to the CORE via J11, and then those are my midi inputs? ie, I don't use the midi inputs/outputs on my CORE module? Or do I need two COREs?

Thanks again for the help.

I should preface this by saying I haven't built one myself, but the merger would run on it's PIC chip separate from the CORE and would sit in front of the MIDI inputs on your SID CORE. So you run your MIDI keyboard and external in to the merger and it would then connect to your SID CORE via internal MIDI connections.

Wow, SIDv3 approaching? I'm impressed! Any sneak-peek preview available? :-)

TK has given us a few hints about it on the forums here and there, but nothing official just yet. It will be using the LPC CORE but will probably keep the PIC COREs for controlling the SIDs. The control surface won't change enough to make v2 control surface designs incompatible. That's about all I can remember :)

TK has given us a few hints about it on the forums here and there, but nothing official just yet. It will be using the LPC CORE but will probably keep the PIC COREs for controlling the SIDs. The control surface won't change enough to make v2 control surface designs incompatible. That's about all I can remember :)

Quite enough (and all positive!) for the time being, looking forward for the official info!

BTW I'm really loving Chipsurf Pipeline. I dunno if you've looked into it, but good video game music is in pretty high demand. For the likes of Android-ware etc etc. A friend of mine did a masters in video game design and told me that it's one of the areas that there is a huge market for new talent. Obviously with more and more small companies popping up to take advantage of the handheld boom.

I think your stuff is perfect for that. Look at Anamanaguchi. I know chiptune is a heavily congested scene, but blending it with surf like you did really sets it apart from the rest. It's still well within the general vibe of chiptune, though. It doesn't sound superfluous or anything.

Edited by pinksoir

BTW I'm really loving Chipsurf Pipeline. I dunno if you've looked into it, but good video game music is in pretty high demand. For the likes of Android-ware etc etc. A friend of mine did a masters in video game design and told me that it's one of the areas that there is a huge market for new talent. Obviously with more and more small companies popping up to take advantage of the handheld boom.

I think your stuff is perfect for that. Look at Anamanaguchi. I know chiptune is a heavily congested scene, but blending it with surf like you did really sets it apart from the rest. It's still well within the general vibe of chiptune, though. It doesn't sound superfluous or anything.

Ah wow thanks for the kind words! We absolutely love the sound we came up with! And, indeed, we have talked about making video game music. That's something we very much want to do and are going to try to get our name out for that once we figure out a good way to do that. We do our own promotion and trying to get our name out enough so that folks within those circles will notice has been a bit tough.

But it also has not been our focus right now as we wanted to finish up the album first. It's SOOO close to being done, but we did get a bit distracted while playing around with the concept for our next album (which, oh man, we are ecstatic about). The next album will still have our sort of hybrid chipsurf sound, but we will be taking it in a more acoustic direction for the other bits. It's shaping up to be the perfect sequel to Chipsurf Pipeline I think.

The next album should also make things easier to do live shows, but we'll see how that goes. One step at a time :)

Cool. Best of luck with it. I know it's tough doing everything yourself (I released a record a year ago), but it's the best way. You should subscribe to Bob Lefsetz's blog if you haven't already. A very clued in dude wrt the direction of music as a professional pursuit. He keeps me inspired anyway.

Always cool to hear someone doing something a little out of the ordinary.

That's the dude. He tends to rant and rave about some stuff, but most of his writing is gold. If you sub to him, you get about an email a day with his blog post in it. Honestly, about the best music analyst going imo. He's months ahead of the rest in predicting where the industry is going etc. He did a big thing on Louis CK when he did his last special (I hope you've heard of Louis CK!), all about doing it your own way while the established industry crumbles around you.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2011/12/15/louie-ck/

Sure, have a read through some of his entries and see if you like it.

Edited by pinksoir

That's the dude. He tends to rant and rave about some stuff, but most of his writing is gold. If you sub to him, you get about an email a day with his blog post in it. Honestly, about the best music analyst going imo. He's months ahead of the rest in predicting where the industry is going etc. He did a big thing on Louis CK when he did his last special (I hope you've heard of Louis CK!), all about doing it your own way while the established industry crumbles around you.

http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2011/12/15/louie-ck/

Sure, have a read through some of his entries and see if you like it.

Right on, I'll check him out. I did indeed hear about, and participate in, Louis CK's experiment :)