MIDIBox 808

filipe

Hi everyone.

First of all, not sure if this is in the right section for posting. If not my apologies.

I want to start building a MB 808 like the one Thorsten Klose has but i'm having problems filtering the information. I'm new to this matters so if anyone kindly point me in the right direction i would be glad.

Here's the info i managed to retain up to this point. I need:

1 x MBHP_CORE, stuffed with PIC18F4620

2 x MBHP_DINX4 (only 6 74HC165 shift registers used)

2 x MBHP_DOUTX4 (7 74HC595 shift registers used)

1 rotary encoder

33 buttons

35 LEDs

The MBHP_CORE, MBHP_DINX4 and MBHO_DOUTX4 PCBs will be ordered from mikes-elektronikseite.de. I will them have to buy the rest of the parts for the MBHP_CORE, MBHP_DINX4 and MBHO_DOUTX4 using the orderlists which i assume are still updated.

For the assembly part i'm more confused because i can't seem to find the correct soldering guides as well as the front panel.

Please correct me if i'm thinking anything wrong.

Don't forget bankstick for storage. For that you'll probably just want to put a few EEPROMs on a piece of perfboard. You'll find the bankstick schematic on the ucapps.de page.

There is no pre-designed front panel available as far as I know - especially since it will depend on the buttons you use.

Welcome - and good luck!

you can also get complete parts + pcb kits for the core, din and dout modules instead of just the pcbs.

you can compare the individual schematics in the pdfs given at ucapps.de to the .gif board files to figure out what is where, and what you'll need.

for the wiring there are interconnection diagrams, sometimes in the project section (not always only in the MBHP section)

the MB808 is based on the SeqV3. so you can also have a look on the sequencer related build docs, for example Wilba's control surface pcb to get an idea which components work fine.

i haven't done detailed research about the MB808 yet so i don't know if there's a complete set of documents somewhere here on the forum or wiki.

good luck!

Don't forget bankstick for storage. For that you'll probably just want to put a few EEPROMs on a piece of perfboard. You'll find the bankstick schematic on the ucapps.de page.

There is no pre-designed front panel available as far as I know - especially since it will depend on the buttons you use.

Welcome - and good luck!

I want to use the number of buttons as close to an original 808, so it would be easier to work on.

you can also get complete parts + pcb kits for the core, din and dout modules instead of just the pcbs.

you can compare the individual schematics in the pdfs given at ucapps.de to the .gif board files to figure out what is where, and what you'll need.

for the wiring there are interconnection diagrams, sometimes in the project section (not always only in the MBHP section)

the MB808 is based on the SeqV3. so you can also have a look on the sequencer related build docs, for example Wilba's control surface pcb to get an idea which components work fine.

i haven't done detailed research about the MB808 yet so i don't know if there's a complete set of documents somewhere here on the forum or wiki.

good luck!

I think i will start with the midi-kits instead, since there is no way it could go wrong especially when i don't have any good knowleadge on electronics.

I don't know if thats clear, but the MB808 is just the sequencer part. In TKs MB808, there are also analog voiceboards for the 808 sounds.

I thought i only needed the banksticks with the sounds. The idea is to build an 808 with 707 sounds.

Hi filipe,

For the better understanding this project you need to "read deeper and deeper" another site articles

http://www.eight-oh-eight.org/

I think.

On the ucapps.de site there are components list for the Midi drum sequencer part only with the standard midibox platform pcboards. The complete MB808 you can see in the MIDIbox 808 Introduction Video has own pcboards.

Regards,

Janis

Edited by Janis1279

You would still need a sampler to play back the 707 samples. But to be honest, it might be cheaper to just get a real 707 ;)

I've been looking on ebay for the real 707 but it costs around 500€ excl. shipping. I figured building one "similiar" how be less expesinve.

Thanks Janis.

I will start to have a look at the eight-oh-eight site. I want to learn a little how it works and what is needed before i start to buy anything.

Edited by filipe

Kogz23 currently works on a new "combined" PCB which can be used for a standalone version.

In distance to the original MIDIbox808 design, it will support individual accent volumes (velocity) as well (e.g. for TR909 based drums)! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Are you interested in building it yourself or just having a sequencer? If you don't care and it doesn't have to Midibox, there's other options out there too. For example, see: http://www.beat707.com/w/ Or I could sell you my TR-727 ;)

I wanted to "build" the drum machine and the sequencer to go with it, main reason being i wouldn't have to spend money i don't have :P. I see you got the 707 "latin cousin" :) , would love to get a 707, kick and snare sounds brilliant.

Oh, that reminds me, I also have this very nice and very small drum sequencer which I don't use anymore: http://www.vacoloco.net/synths/tron/It's nicely built, completely working and with clear plexi case. I would sell it to you for cost of the parts if you want it.

Can you send a pm with you asking price please.