BPM encoder and display for v4l?

taximan

Hiya,

Just a couple of questions regarding the bpm encoder and digits for the seqv4l..........

Is a 'standard' encoder as supplied by smashtv okay?

What do I need to obtain for the digits?............3x single units or a three in one unit?....common anode/cathode etc etc.

Does anyone have the physical size of the bpm display digits?.......I could do with the sizes to cut out my case.

Over at ucapps it says 2xdout and 1xdin,is this actually referring to the number of the chips?

cheers

Paul

Is a 'standard' encoder as supplied by smashtv okay?

yes - as usual the encoder type is configurable, so that you could also use a non-detended encoder if you prefer.

What do I need to obtain for the digits?............3x single units or a three in one unit?....common anode/cathode etc etc.

Does anyone have the physical size of the bpm display digits?.......I could do with the sizes to cut out my case.

you will need 4 digits for the value after the dot (optional for higher precision).

The size of the digits isn't standardized, please order them first from your favorite webshop.

Over at ucapps it says 2xdout and 1xdin,is this actually referring to the number of the chips?

You will need two DOUT shift registers (two 74HC595) and one DIN (one 74HC165)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Paul!

These kingbright LED digits will work fine, i use them in the seq v4 and am happy with them! :)

You might need to experiment with the DOUT LED pinout a little bit, until everything works, there were reports of inverted pins - a breadboard really helps:

gallery_7895_68_9821.jpg

(0 bpm - a very ambient track is going on :-))

You might also want to add three more digits to obtain a current-step indicator, which should also work on the lite... but it may not be really necessary, as there is the fine "bar" indicator already.

Greets!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Check my thread about it

I found that the PDF in the SEQV4 thread showed the digit segments in the reverse order although the commons are correct.

I mailed an updated pdf of the DOUTs for the display to TK. I am not sure if it is available yet but I can send a copy to you if you need it.

The SR setup is SR1 for the digit segments and SR2 for the commons. You will need the V55b version of the firmware (available in the thread linked above) to make it all work. Hopefully the BPM display will be included in the next release.

I used an encoder I had lying about, I think it's a Bournes one. The DIN setup is very straight forward but you need to use SR1 in the HW file.

hope that helps.

Tim..

If you are using a common DOUT DIN chain beware that the RC1 and RC2 lines need to be separate for the DOUT and DIN respectively. Check the schematic for the LPC core board J8/9. Looking at the connector from the edge of the board, RC1 is rear row right hand side and RC2 is the front row.

That had me going for a bit as I had the 2 RC lines connected together so nothing worked.

Hi all,

Some few questions :

Is it possible to wire the encoder directly to J10 in order to save a DIN module ?

Does it make sense to use 3 leds digits for the step display as the v4l has 64 steps ?

Regards

You need the DIN module on J8/9 for the encoder as J10 is used by the control surface and the encoder is connected to the external DIN chain. You only need a single shift register on a DINx1.

I can't see a reason why you would need 3 digits on the V4L step display. 16 x 4 is 64 steps so 2 should do. The V4 can do > 64 steps so 3 digits are required.

Well I am surprised. It works with a multiplexed display, all 7 segments common. The anodes or cathodes are connected to SR2 7 through 2 (these read right to left so digit 1 is on the right and is the decimal place for the BPM).

This saves an extra DOUT for the track position display :thumbsup:

Here is the relevant part of my HW file:

##################################################

# Optional BPM digits

# set to 1 or 2 to enable the 3 optional BPM digits

# 0: BPM digits disabled

# 1: BPM digits with common cathode

# 2: BPM digits with common anode

BPM_DIGITS_ENABLED 1

# define the DOUT shift register to which the segments are connected (0=disabled)

BPM_DIGITS_SEGMENTS_SR 1

# define the DOUT SR and pin to which the common pins are connected

# we are counting from right to left

# Example: 140.5 BPM: (COMMON1 = .5, COMMON2=0., COMMON3=4, COMMON4=1)

#                       SR  Pin

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON1_PIN   2   7

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON2_PIN   2   6

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON3_PIN   2   5

BPM_DIGITS_COMMON4_PIN   2   4

# Optional Step digits

# set to 1 or 2 to enable the 3 optional STEP digits

# 0: STEP digits disabled

# 1: STEP digits with common cathode

# 2: STEP digits with common anode

STEP_DIGITS_ENABLED 1

# define the DOUT shift register to which the segments are connected (0=disabled)

STEP_DIGITS_SEGMENTS_SR 1

# define the DOUT SR and pin to which the common pins are connected

# we are counting from right to left

# Example: Step 123: (COMMON1 = 3, COMMON2=2, COMMON3=1)

#                       SR  Pin

STEP_DIGITS_COMMON1_PIN   2   3

STEP_DIGITS_COMMON2_PIN   2   2

STEP_DIGITS_COMMON3_PIN   0   0

And here is a photo, step 01 049.0 BPM

gallery_7703_140_95201.jpg

Edited by gomiboy99