small Reason 6 controller

savethecheerleader

I've been doing a lot of reading, but I've run into a couple questions that I need to ask to confirm my understanding before I go further.

First, let me explain my concept.

I'm a keyboard player and for live shows I'm using Propellerheads Reason 6 for my sounds hooked up to a MIDI keyboard. In Reason, I create separate instruments assigned to different tracks. To enable an instrument, all you do is select a track in Reason and start playing.

What I want to do is create a little controller box that has an endless pot that allows me to switch back and forth between my tracks using Reason's "Target Track" remote override.

I'd also like to have an LCD that would simply display the track name of the current target track so I don't have to look at my laptop to make sure I'm selecting the right track.

Lastly, I'd like to add four buttons and four rotary pots to mimic the "Combinator" device in Reason since I setup a lot of my instruments through the Combinator.

I attached a picture so you can see.

Like I said, I've done a lot of reading. From what I understand, I need to use the MidiBox 64e platform to make this since I want to use an endless pot (encoder) to switch between tracks. Is this correct?

My second question is related to retrieving the track name and displaying it on the LCD. Is the MidiBox 64e capable of doing something like this? Is this something I program in the software? My understanding is that I will need to use Propellerheads Remote Codec to integrate my device with the software. I need some direction on how to think about this area of the design.

post-10568-0-50212600-1328117975_thumb.j

I'd personally skip the 64e and use the new LPC17 core http://ucapps.de/mbhp_core_lpc17.html with http://ucapps.de/midio128.html

Displaying track name on the LCD is slightly more difficult. I don't know Reason but your best solution without writing a new Remote Codec is to use the existing one for the Mackie Control. This will require a little bit of firmware hacking on your midibox, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like TK might be writing something that will work called Midibox NG v2, see:

findbuddha, thank you so much for your thoughts. I am very grateful. I hadn't realized there was a new core out. It looks like I'll use that one instead with Midi 128.

Right now, I don't have too many other questions. I will still need to research more about the track name on the LCD. I was digging around different Remote Codec files for Reason, with the Mackie Control being one of them, and I don't think it'd be terribly hard to program a codec from the looks of it, but we'll see. If anyone else has any experience with Midibox and Reason, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I'm really excited about this project. I had a couple more questions come up in my parts research that I need to confirm with you all just to make sure I'm understanding things correctly.

1.) This might be a dumb question but I'm looking at some 10k linear pots that have a 6mm D shape shaft. Is it possible to use knobs with a 6.4mm round shaft and a set screw?

2.) Are there any resources that look at how to mount an LCD to a front panel? My intention is to panel mount my encoder and pots because that seems easiest, but I didn't think it was possible to panel mount an LCD from what I've seen. How do you guys approach this?

Dumb questions or not:

1) Using a knob with a set screw made for 1/4" (6.35mm) axis on a 6mm D-axis won't end well. The know will wobble around some or not be centered properly around the axis of rotation. Don't do this!

2) Look at the photo tutorial on building a MB6582. Here the LCD is fixed to the PCB that is fixed to the front panel using JB-Weld and lots of hex spacers. Another, less nice-looking, option is to use the 4 screw-holes of the display PCB (assuming it has those), some hex spacers and 4 screws going through the whole shebang. Or, just do the distances behind the front panel for the display. Or, cover up the display hole with a plexi window and mount the display with hardware internal to the box.

/J

1 - You'll definitely want to have your pot shafts and knobs matching. From my quick perusal flat/D shaft seems easier to come by, so unless there's a specific part you want to use that may be your best option.

2 - If you don't mind having 4 screws showing on your front panel it's very easy to panel mount most LCDs. Otherwise there are the options jojjelito mentions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much again for your responses. For the LCD, I think in my panel design I will factor in spots for screws.

In light of both of your advice, I just posted a in the parts forum. Because I'm in the United States, I've noticed I'm having a tough time finding knobs that fit a 6mm shaft. Most knobs are for 1/4" or 6.35mm shafts. I can find some good pots that have a 6.35mm shaft, but I'm having a very tough time finding encoders with 6.35mm shafts. Any ideas?

Before I make a big order, I want to make sure I have the parts right for this project. I'm planning to order most of my stuff from midibox-shop.com. Can you verify this list of parts for me to make sure I'm getting the right stuff? My understanding is that since I only have four pots I will be able to use J5 on the LPC17 board instead of an AIN module. Is this correct?

Parts List

Core LPC17 Module PCB + Parts Kit

1 DIN module

1 DOUT module (LEDs for the four buttons)

(4) Alpha RV170F-10-15R1-B10K pots

(2) CT3001-ND encoders

PacTec PT-8 enclosure

Orient LCD: AMC2002CR-B-G6WFDW-SP

I'm still trying to figure out what buttons to use. I need to do more research in that area.

EDIT: I should also note that from my first design I added another encoder for a tempo BPM control which is why I have two encoders listed on the parts list.

Edited by savethecheerleader