OLED specs?

3raserFace

I have had my eye on these LCD's I think they look great. The charchter displays

Mouser Part #: 763-NHD-0216KZW-AB5

Manufacturer Part #: NHD-0216KZW-AB5

Newhaven Display

has anyone used these with the LPC17 core. It looks to me like it should be no problem. operating voltage 5v ,operating current of 30 ma I belive.

spec sheet

I am a bit unsure about the acceptable specs for the LCD I seen the 3-5v not to sure about the current though . Which leads me to my questions, Are these within spec for the LPC17 core ? How do these look in use are the ads B.s or do they look nice and clear? Will these work without an external power supply?

My gut tells me that these should be fine but i would like another opinion please.

Thanks in advance, sorry to be a bother .

It will work. Typically OLEDs look a lot nicer in RL than in pictures - true black background, crisp pixels.

This display will work w/o an external PSU. OLEDs typically have a very low current draw which is determined mostly by the number of lit pixels. The datasheet says "current draw (typ.) 30mA".

[bTW, I fixed the title of your post - this is not an LCD it's an OLED]

Cool thanks man, I hate to be a pain posting noob questions but thanks for the help. I am glad my gut was right, I try to search for answers to my questions and allot of time i find them but theres also allot of times where i look right over it. I seem to have a rough time seaching in the forum for answers but i am getting the hang of it.... i think :blink:

but thanks again for the help :thumbsup:

Hi,

I can confirm, that the newhaven character oleds are somewhat standards-compliant - last year i put one of them into an old waldorf micro q with a failed lcd - it worked without problems:

mg9636.jpg

these OLEDs are really nice, the background is really black :-)

Edit: jojjelito found out, that the 4x20 is NOT compatible without driver hacking, so beware of those (e.g. for a MB-6582)

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Oh yeah, there I was, balls deep in your mama. Oh, sorry! Is this thing on? OK...

I'll get back to the driver hacking after some other things I'm doing are done. Maybe the smaller displays are more standards-compliant, I know that Altitude put a 2x16 in a Shruthi-1 without any changes to the code. Please note however, that the Shruthi is a different code-path entirely as it's written in C++ outside of the MIDIbox world so take this indication as a feasibility hint, no more.

Reminds me, in 2016 or whenever I have the time, I'll do the Prophet VS and the CZ5000. They both need the OLED treatment. Especially after seeing the picture above :thumbsup:

Cheers!

/J

We should keep in touch regarding that code transmogrification! I don't think I destroyed my display but originally I just carried all the leads straight over, before realizing that it was a 4-bit beast. I have some prototype code at work I played with last summer, then the modular grabbed my time too much...