New Build Advice

Eddie P

Hello Everyone,

Hi new to the forum been trying to sign up for few months had validation problems. I'm looking at building a MidiBox 64 or something close. I like to build a custom controller for my DAW. I do build tube amps so I do have some electronics know how. I'm confused about Midi and C programing. Any suggestion were to start my reseach on learning midi and c programing? I did learn very quickly that Midi is not a audio connection that it transfers only data from one point to another. I understand this now boy did i feel stupid. Thanks for advice

Welcome!

I´d suggest you read as much on ucapps.de as you can :)

Also, if you start with a new MIDI controller project, the new LPC17 based MIDIO128 V3 may be of interest for you - this project allows you to build a powerful MIDI controller without programming C or even old PIC assembler!

http://ucapps.de/midio128.html

Greets and have lots of fun!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hello Eddi,

There are allready 2 official projects based on the mackie emulation protocol (popular protocol among all popular DAWs):

Midibox LC

Midibox NG

midibox lc is based on the old core which means you have to accept several limitations.

midibox ng will be the successor of the LC, since it combines everything you need to control a DAW:

- support of mackie emulation protocol, integration of motorfaders, pots, encoders, buttons etc.

unfortunately midibox NG hasn't been released yet (i am waiting for myself on it), since thorsten wanted to focus his work

on several other projects first.

my advice: wait for mb_ng, it'll possibly be the easiest way to realise your idea.

Hello Hawkeye and Nasrudin,

Thanks for the response. I do have a controller that has up to 48 faders, transport buttins and buttins that controls muteing soloing etc. per channel. This unit works well for me but limited to these functions. My main goal is building a controller that will control my Plugin effects. By this I would think that it would be mostly knobs or encoders. I don't see the need for LED's but maybe an off/on buttin to enable or disable Plugins enstead of doing this inside the DAW would be handy.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I get the idea u have on no LEDs, but personally I would want to have them, a lot of them. Easier when setting up stuff, and u don't need to have the plugin on screen when editing the common stuff. Of course, this is all up to u, but I would put some LEDs there. Not for all functions, but for the most common ones that u use, and that is common between the different plugins.

For example, I, who use a lot of analog synth plugs, would like to have the status on LEDs for wich osc is active, what waveform is used etc... Stuff that is about the same on all of my plugs.