Monster 72 Fader MBHP_MF_NG implementation. Best approach?

finis

Hi,

I have a mixing desk that needs moving fader automation. Well, its a Calrec S2 60-channel console equipped with Alps 10K ohm non-motorized faders. The (long-term) goal is to build an automation system for it to control:

- 60 channel faders (30 mono, 30 stereo)

- 8 group faders

- 2 main out faders

Hence, I am basically interested in controlling the desk via Midi from Logic and Pro Tools, not controlling this software although it might be a nice feature for some task. What is the best approach for this project in terms of MB hardware? I would like to stay with a minimum of hardware components but, naturally, still have professional performance (timing) during mixdown. Do I need a core card (if so, 8 or 32?) or can I daisy chain 8 motor fader cards and rewrite the software on each PIC so they respond to one Midi channel (with a SysEx tweak)?

...and big thanks to all amazing contributors, especially TK.

/Finis

Hi,

dedicated PICs for each pair of 8 motorfaders are still required, but since the PIC is part of the MBHP_MF_NG module anyhow, the complexity is low.

You will only need multiple of these MBHP_MF_NG modules, they are working standalone. No core module is required.

I could add the selection of a dedicated MIDI channel to the firmware, it isn't so difficult.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

All this was great news indeed, wow.

Regarding the faders, I went immediately to the studio today and to my amazement I see that the faders in the desk are Penny & Giles PGF 8000 Series, not Alps as I said earlier. The PG faders are narrow (13.4 mm) I am afraid and, hence, there are few alternatives. At present, the 15 mm Alps Motor K fader (CP type) RSA0K11V901S seems to be an option if I can narrow the width down a bit somehow. Hence, before starting all this, I need to check if I can cram the new faders into the compact console slots.

First action on my part: Get an Alps Motor K fader RSA0K11V901S and tweak.

Someone has a spare?

All the best!

/Finis

Edited by finis

Regarding the faders, I went immediately to the studio today and to my amazement I see that the faders in the desk are Penny & Giles PGF 8000 Series, not Alps as I said earlier. The PG faders are narrow (13.4 mm) I am afraid and, hence, there are few alternatives. At present, the 15 mm Alps Motor K fader (CP type) RSA0K11V901S seems to be an option if I can narrow the width down a bit somehow. Hence, before starting all this, I need to check if I can cram the new faders into the compact console slots.

First action on my part: Get an Alps Motor K fader RSA0K11V901S and tweak.

Hello Finis,

A very ambitious project you have in mind.

Following questions should be checked in advance of buying 72 motorized Alps K faders:

1. Do the Calrec consoles have VCAs for channel volume control?
    Because the mot. Alps K Faders only have Linear 10k tracks. a log. tapper is not available as motorized. K type afaik.
    So, your PGF 8000 fader should be of type PGF8110/8112 or 8160 type (Lin. or VCA type)
  2. The fixing holes of both fader types are 120 mm appart, so no problem
    but the overall length of the ALPS K Fader is larger on buttom (pulley) and top (motor).
    so ensure that you have enough space in the consoles channel strip fader area.
Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Jo

Thanks Jo,

Exactly, the console employs VCAs for controlling volume with PGF 8160 type faders. I don't want to mess with this side of the desk channel, so the best approach is probably to use the "equivalent" motorized fader from Penny & Giles, the PGFM 8160 with an iron-core motor that can be driven by 5-11.5 volts (8 V nominal). This fader seems to fit in the mixing desk module I use from what I can see from the PG site. However, in this case I must modify and extend the bottom side of the desk somewhat to be able to accommodate the motor part of the fader.

I start small now (expensive faders)...and there are many things in a studio that need maintenance ;)

Regards

/Finis

I don't want to mess with this side of the desk channel, so the best approach is probably to use the "equivalent" motorized fader from Penny & Giles, the PGFM 8160 with an iron-core motor that can be driven by 5-11.5 volts (8 V nominal). This fader seems to fit in the mixing desk module I use from what I can see from the PG site.

I start small now (expensive faders)...

Hi Finis

Before you start with the (more expensive) PGFM 8160.

There is one small detail on mot. Alps K faders which makes them perform better than the P&G faders.

A small plastic guide mounted on the pulley side of the Alps Fader makes it more responsive when the fader motor changes its direction.

This tiny small part makes the control SW much more strait forward (less deadband / hysteresis on direction change)

Regards

Jo