1/4" or 6.35mm shaft encoders

savethecheerleader

For the past couple weeks, I've been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what parts I need for my I posted about a couple weeks ago. I know that I will order a lot of stuff from midibox-shop.com, but something I'm having a tough time figuring out is what encoders to use.

From my research, I see that the ALPS or Bourns encoders are the ones to get (midibox-shop even sells one). However, since I'm in the United States, I've noticed that any of the knobs I've found fit only 6.35mm or 1/4" shafts. Because of this reason, I thought it'd be a good idea to find encoders with 6.35mm or 1/4" shafts to make things simple.

I've been searching into the depths of the Mouser and Digi-Key catalog and I can't find a 1/4" shaft encoder that would work for a Midibox project. Maybe I'm completely stupid, but I've been at this for the last couple weeks and I'm hitting a bit of a wall, so I wondered if you knew of any good encoders that work for the midibox project with a 6.35mm 1/4" shaft?

EDIT: I realized from a notes document I made I did have this encoder down as a possibility for a 1/4" shaft but I wasn't sure if it would be compatible for the Midibox project:

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/288T232R161A1/CT3001-ND/203826

Edited by savethecheerleader

There are options in the code so that several signaling schemes fit. As long as it's a quadrature encoder chances are it will work. If you find something that outputs some odd Gray code you're off to coding land...

Did you notice the Eagle Plastic 450-BA600? It will fit more common encoder with 6mm D-shaft and has no line. Mouser has several choices of 450-BAxxx knobs that will fit both 6mm serrated T-18 and D shafts. You'll save money on the encoders plus get to use more standard parts.

Thanks so much again for your help. This was very helpful to me. I had completely missed the Eagle Plastic knobs.

I ended up putting in an order yesterday. I ordered those knobs as well as some with a white indicator for the pots. I also ordered some 450-4760 knobs to try them out.

For my encoders, I ended up getting a couple to try out. I got the Bourns encoders from the Midibox Shop and then I am going to try the PEC16-4220F-N0024 encoder.

For my pots, I'm going to try the Alpha RV120F-10-15F-B10K pot as well as the ALPS RK09L114001T pot.

I figured I'd try a couple to see what I like. I also wanted to try a 20mm shaft version of the pots and encoders because I think I might need the extra space. I'm thinking I'm going to end up making an enclosure from Ponoko similar to the sammichSID and those acrylic panels are 3mm.