SB card with OPL3 chip

albpower2seq4sid

I found two cards with them on that don't appear on the list: AZTECH MM PRO 16IIA-3D FP-6L (0D) and PACKARD BELL 030069.

When looking on ebay look for the two chips, the OPL and the DAC chip. They're usually pretty close to each other. Look for the text pattern of the Yamaha OPL chip, it's quite recognisable.

See image:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:YMF262-M.jpg

Also, I found that counting the rows of pins helped, there's 12 pins and there's a dot to indicate pin one.

If you guys find a card that has OPL3s/YACs please add it to the list in the wiki.

If you guys find a cards that do not have OPL3s/YACs please add it to the list of cards known NOT to have them, also in the WIKI.

Thankees.

I didn't add mine yet because next saturday I will buy a batch of sound boards ISA and then I will see wich one has the chips, I just called the seller a few minutes ago and he sets aside that boards for me. The site is this:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-139128508-placa-de-sonido-isa-_JM

Well, I don't know how to add the cards model to the wiki, do I have to create a new user? or with the user and password of this forum I could sign in the wiki?

I'm sorry, I forgot an explanation in the margin: $14.50 of my country is almost 3.30 USD each board.

Edited by albpower2seq4sid

Last Saturday a batch board's seller told me "I show you the newest ones", then I told him "no..., Please, show me the oldest ones" so I found two with the YMF262 and the yac512!! of course I bought both boards

So, before those boards would go to the rubbish dump I rescue ( I paid the boards = rescue ) the FM chips on their way to the skip...

well a philosophical thought...

Do the electronic components has a karma?

If so - OPL3 and SID's has a good one! :twitch:

Could it be they have one, when we see an old sound board we run to buy it ( if we saw the chips on them. Could it be we'll become experts to recogniza the YMF262, we develop something like an eagle's eye to see that chips they seem to be reborn each time we find and reuse them

SID and FM chips were a quantum leap in computer sound. Before SID it was all beeps (and afterwards too).

FM provided better sounds, although we tend to think some of them are cheesy now.

By the time sample playback became more popular it all got a bit dull and boring. Hence why nobody (to my knowledge) really builds things that play samples using old sample playback chips.

The SID chip was more memorable than the Paula chip in the Amiga.

SID and FM chips were a quantum leap in computer sound. Before SID it was all beeps (and afterwards too).

FM provided better sounds, although we tend to think some of them are cheesy now.

By the time sample playback became more popular it all got a bit dull and boring. Hence why nobody (to my knowledge) really builds things that play samples using old sample playback chips.

The SID chip was more memorable than the Paula chip in the Amiga.

"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" It could be said two ( SID and OPL3 ) giants leaps for our comunnity ( Midibox ). I agree sample chips have no power to lift our spirit up like ( specially ) the SID has its great power of sounds that invades our souls. I don't know if anyone else, outside our community, could appreciate this legendary chips, a "middle age" between analog and digital ages, as to say digital control but powerful analog sound...

I found this project about using the ISA bus to talk to the FM chip in a soundcard. I have a box of old soundcards, however all of my soundcards have the OPL integrated in the main controller chip. So I found this project interesting. It should not be impossible to integrate a full ISA card in a midibox project, it would probably not be the prettiest box around.

"AdLib sound card on a parallel port"

ISA to parallel port adlib project

(I'm sorry if I'm reposting old knowledge here)