Running MB6582 off a single 12V DC Supply

Altitude

• 2 years later...

Ok I'm a total electronics novice at all this so please forgive my blundering and i'm very pleased if you over kill your answers (I don't mind being schooled at all ;)

I would like to rebuild my power supply with the latest modern components and (possibly build another 6682) therefor I would like to put a "how to" for simpletons guide with photo's on the end of this thread. Or perhaps if this guide is worthy, a whole new thread (whatever the MOD's think best) that has the latest updated switching PSU information so that pretty much anyone can follow the instructions. (I have to admit I'm somewhat baffled by the PSU on this thing and I have read the major threads on it)

My MB-6582 that has both types of SID currently is being powered by a noisy cobbled together double wall wart type PSU.

I would like to MOD my SID box to have the latest switching type as seen in this thread and also keeping both power rails available.

I would like to build in very decent overhead to both supplies so I may power additional components such as a PWM for RGB LED's and RGB LCD, I know that might sound lame to some but I have practical reasons to want to do this as I also plan on some other additions to the build.

Please I would really appreciate help doing the PSU and if your kind enough to help please can direct Mouser links to all the components I would need and step by step instructions with pictures are highly welcomed.

Much love to the community here,

SF.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Altitude, 

So i started a new MB6582 and did a little bit research. If i want to use both 6581 and 8580 (6582) and i want to run this on a single 12VDC power supply i need both 9VDC and 5VDC DC/DC converters right? 

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/dcdc-converter-print-recom-international-r-78b90-10l-32-vdc-9-vdc-1-a-9-w-aantal-uitgangen-1-x-676151.html

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/dcdc-converter-print-recom-international-r-78c50-10-5-vdc-1-a-aantal-uitgangen-1-x-157764.html

Above 2 will be usable right?

Also i need to solder the base board with PSU option C right? And stuff V1 with the  9VDC?

So if what i mention above is correct and i solder this with all the bridges like you showed on youre picture this should work correct?

sidpsumod1.thumb.jpg.3220af54a02f50142d8

Finally the wire you have running from V2 to J71 9V connection is needed? And what value is the resistor that you are using on this wire?

Edited by dreamer
Changed the DC/DC converters. To types more fitting on the PCB layout

Yep, that's how I have done it.  switching 9V and 5V Recoms and a 7812 for the +12V rail and a 15V DC supply.  You could forgo the 7812 and just use a regulated 12VDC brick but that's sort of putting yourself out there and any PSU fault could result in damage to the SIDs.  The 7812 would provide protection from overvoltage.  Triple check all your voltages before installing any chips

The wire in that pic was to power the backlights for the knobs on mine and is not necessary 

Thanks for youre answer.

So for extra safety V3 must be stuffed with 7812. So i was thinking about this one:

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/dcdc-converter-print-tracopower-24-vdc-12-vdc-1-a-aantal-uitgangen-1-x-1086486.html

This is a traco because of the dimensions. If my measurements are correct it will be a tight fit but should be possible to stuff all these on the top of the board.

All of them are recommended on 1A will this be enough?

And a 15VDC 2A powerbrick should be able to power it all right?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost ready to solder in the PSU section. I want to solder this like the picture i made as a guideline. If i understand everything this should be the correct way to solder this. Please take a look at it and verify that this is the correct way.

Only have 1 more question also shown in the picture. Is it correct that you only use the "J1A 9VAC" pins to supply the base board with 15VDC. Or do you also supply this to the "J1A 5V" pins?

Power-Section-Guide1.jpg

looks good.  The two power pins you will use are the two inside pins of the DIN connector, I cant tell you which those correspond to on the board, I just plug the DIN connector in and checked the pins with a meter, one goes to ground and the other is connected to the "9V-11V" pin.  Make sure your jumpers are in, follow my pic as a guide

Hey,

I just connected and power upped the MB6582 and started measuring voltages. I soldered the board like the picture attached to this message. 

When i starting measuring i measured 15 VDC on the 5V   power line --> NOK

als measured 9 VDC on the 9V power line --> OK

No voltage at all on the 12V power line --> NOK

any ideas what i did wrong?

Power-Section-Guide1.jpg.941adcfb395ce0596c4037a54488a8c0.jpg

Ok, just saw your other thread regarding the resistance between +5V and GND where I asked, if a switcher is in place :-). This explains it! :-)

You'll need to trace it through... the +15VDC pin from your power connector must reach the input of the Recom 5V switcher (multimeter: 0 resistance).

The output pin of the Recom 5V switcher must connect to the +5V MB6582 baseboard pin (upper-left center of the above picture, also with 0 resistance).

If the +5V MB6582 baseboard pin is directly connected to the +15V input pin, there is something wrong :-).

Other than that: some switchers require loads to operate correctly. High voltage readings, if no loads at all are connected, are common, but +15V is very high and should not happen, so I think some wrong wiring is involved. If you want to add a temporary test load, you could use a temporarily inserted resistor of 1kOhm or greater across the +5V and GND board pins. This load should only consume 0,025 watts @5V and stay cold, but should drop the voltage of the switcher, when measuring again, at least a bit. Pull out the resistor instantly, if it gets hot after powering up:).

Many greets,

Peter

hmmph i feel stupid now. I just lined up the dot on the 5V with the square on the PCB thinking that should be the input. I did the same with the 9V. I just checked the board layout and i can see my error now also. Thanks altitude for noticing it. When i'm home tonight i will turn it around hopefully the switcher is not broken now.

Grtz