How long latency if I

CatOrg

It depends on the software but it can be very low, i.e. not noticeable.

Which software is then better? I have no idea. I checked for MB128 that this goes with MIOS-Studio, but how do you say to MB that the DIN-DOUT makes the notes and the channels etc?

I read from a magnet producer (Wicks, I think) that they lower the opening time to 60ms. That lets plenty of time, doesnt it?

There is no "mature" matrix input software for the 8 bit MidiBox. You have to be pretty comfortable with assembly language coding and be prepared for a lot of work to do matrix input on the 8 bit platform. I would recommend using the 32 bit platform and the newest MIDIIO128 software for matrix input.

60ms seems slow if you are talking about opening a valve under a pipe in a pipe organ. You'll notice the delay once it starts getting above 20ms.

... You have to be pretty comfortable with assembly language coding ...

Dear Jim, well this is not for me then.

About the LPC, this is exactly what I prefer, but till now I come to prices more than 2x higher that in the US. They charge $100 for one LPC, $200 for 4. Not the LPC is the problem, but mailing :-( Even the official NXP-reseller here doesnt get it better.

So I stay at smthg like 3x MB128-MIOS8 in chain and a 4550 as MIDI-USB. Just beginning right now with soldering my first works, anyway...

All would change if I could convice friends here to bring it back from France, Germany or Miami in their bag.

The parallel inputs of a chain of MB128s may not be elegant but it is as solid as a rock and about as easy as can be to troubleshoot. I've seen a lot of people successfully complete very impressive projects rather quickly with this approach. There is a lot to be said for using something simple, even if it uses more hardware, when you are doing a one off project.

I've also seen quite a few people spend a lot of time trying to be clever by using matrix input without ever completing their project, myself included.