Digital out from MBFM

strophlex

Hi all

I am thinking of building an MBFM with SSM2044 filter modules. As you probably know, the filers modules have a digital 5V bypass switch. Is it possible to control that from the MBFM software? There seems to be unused outputs on the DOUT module but I must be able to control them from software too and I guess adding menu items for this is not peace of cake...

On MBSID, there is an external filter option which controls the bypass. If that's not available in MBFM, I would think it could be added pretty easily. This is just rampant speculation - I'm actually curious about this as well :) But I think TK has made an MBFM with some SSM action so it's very possible to do.

As you know, there is no filter in the MBFM original configuration, so there is no filter settings to forward. But there is generic AOUT settings to forward LFO and EG to AOUT and in this case filter cutoff and resonance. What I am thinking of here though is the on/off switching of the bypass relay in Seppomans SMM2044 module. If that is possible to control from the MBFM.

At the time the MBFM has been designed, external switches haven't been considered.

Today it would be some effort to integrate this into the firmware properly.

I'm not only speaking about the programming and testing (which would take 1..2 hours), but also about documentation, CS & SysEx editor enhancement, etc...

To give you an example: yesterday I improved the LFO MIDI Clock synchronization of MBSID - I had to disable another feature to make this possible.

Then I thought that I could add the same function to the MBFM because I really like the new behaviour, found out that the LFO implementation is very different, tried to adapt it, but gave up after 1/2 hour because I saw that there are much more changes required than expected. Therefore I postponed this feature (on which I'm interested by myself) to a day where I've nothing else to do ;)

In short: no, it isn't possible with the current firmware.

Would it be acceptable for you to add a physical switch for the filter bypass?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the reply TK. I have considered adding a switch, but it would be nice to have it as a software setting that is saved with the patch. I am too spoiled with MBSID... To you think it is too hard for me to implement this feature?

EDIT: And who am I? I am a proffesional programmer since five years but haven't done loads of assembly programming. Just a bit.

Edited by strophlex

It shouldn't be so hard to implement this... if you search for "J5" in all MBSID source files, you will find the relevant code which has to be taken over.

The switch state itself could be stored in MBFM_AOUTx_ASSIGN (part of a struct, has to be addressed indirectly, search for MBFM_AOUT_ASSIGNx and AOUTxASSG in all MBFM source files to find out how to do this)

Best Regards, Thorsten.