MidiBox 64E Pre-flight check.

tonedef

Just about to place an order, and I was hoping someone with some exp. could do a once over to see if I've forgotten anything, or misunderstood the specs. It's a relatively full stuffed Midibox64E: 64 Pots, 40 Encoders, 48 buttons, 40 LED's, 8 LED rings. Thanks!

layout-ribbon.png

Components:

---------------------------------------------------------

1x LPCXpresso: LPC1769 LPCXpresso board

40x Rotary Encoder: Bourns PEC16-4015F-N0024

24PPR, 2 bit Gray Code, 5V

63x 10K Potentiometer: BI Technologies P160KN-0QC15B10K

Linear 10 KOhms, 200 mW, 20% (tol.)

1x 10K Ribbon slider: SpectraSymbol ThinPot

Linear 10 KOhms, 500 mW, 20% (tol.)

1x LCD Display: Newhaven NHD-0216K1Z-NSW-FBW-L

2x16 Characters, FSTN(-), WHITE LED side backlight(20mA), Transmissive

48x Buttons: Schurter 1301.9306

Momentary, 1.6N, 6X6X9.5mm Short Travel Switch

128x LEDs: Generic 3mm White (5000-6500K), 3-3.2v, 25mA, 1200mcd

40 for buttons, and 88 for 8 LED rings

128x Resistors OR some PWM LED drivers (i.e. TLC5947) + DOUT interface

Hardware:

1x Panel: 11(2.30mm) gauge Aluminum sheet

63x Knobs (Pots): Generic, 6mm knurled, black with white indicator

40x Knobs (Enc.): Generic, 6mm flatted, black

Smash TV:

2x #04 AIN Kit + PCB

4x #03 DIN Kit + PCB

3x #08 DOUT Kit + PCB

1x #77 Core LPC17 Module PCB w/MagJack

1x #78 Core LPC17 Parts Kit

MB64E doesn't run on LPCXPRESSO, only on the old PIC based core.

For MIOS32 MBNG will provide equivalent features (+ more), but this application isn't available yet.

However, if you are planning to implement the app by yourself anyhow: the tutorials are here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_c.html

Another discrepancy: for LPCXPRESSO you will need a AINSER64 module, MBHP_AINs are not recommended.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

MB64E doesn't run on LPCXPRESSO, only on the old PIC based core.

For MIOS32 MBNG will provide equivalent features (+ more), but this application isn't available yet.

However, if you are planning to implement the app by yourself anyhow: the tutorials are here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_c.html

Another discrepancy: for LPCXPRESSO you will need a AINSER64 module, MBHP_AINs are not recommended.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK!

So I have a workable solution if I just drop:

1x LPCXpresso: LPC1769 LPCXpresso board

1x #77 Core LPC17 Module PCB w/MagJack

1x #78 Core LPC17 Parts Kit

And then add:

1x #02 Core8 Kit + PCB (PIC18F4685, Panel MIDI Jacks)

...or I swap out the AIN's for AINSER64 and either code the app, or wait for MIOS32 MBNG. Yes?

Looking at the frontpanel I would suggest that the encoders and pots are too close to each other. It will be a problem to change values without accidentally touching neighboring encoders/pots. Unless you are using a pair of tweezers to grab them...

Edited by ilmenator

Looking at the frontpanel I would suggest that the encoders and pots are too close to each other. It will be a problem to change values without accidentally touching neighboring encoders/pots. Unless you are using a pair of tweezers to grab them...

:)

...Yeah, it's tight. The columns are a tad taller than eurorack height though, and the minimal spacing (assuming 15mm diameter knobs) between knobs at the base should be at least equal to what you'd find on Doepfer's A-100 analog synth modules:

a130.gifA130.jpg

Looking nice...

What works good for me are Reichelt 10mm knobs - good grip and also possible to get your fingers between them in tight spaces.

Also, maybe rethink the use of white 1200mcd leds, even if they are "pulsed" as in led-matrix connected, they will be probably bad to your eyes after some time (green, yellow or red is best for long usage).

It is like supermodels, sweet to look at, but when you have to work with them, annoying after a few minutes :-).

Also, if you have the time, wait for TKs new LPC17 based solution, it will be <put 10 pages of hymn text here> ;-).

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Looking nice...

What works good for me are Reichelt 10mm knobs - good grip and also possible to get your fingers between them in tight spaces.

Also, maybe rethink the use of white 1200mcd leds, even if they are "pulsed" as in led-matrix connected, they will be probably bad to your eyes after some time (green, yellow or red is best for long usage).

It is like supermodels, sweet to look at, but when you have to work with them, annoying after a few minutes :-).

Also, if you have the time, wait for TKs new LPC17 based solution, it will be <put 10 pages of hymn text here> ;-).

Greets,

Peter

Good point... even blue seems too intense to look at long. Funny how LEDs have gotten almost too efficient/bright. I was even thinking to build out a PWM driver module with an interface for the DOUT board, just to bring the brightness down. Perhaps I'll just do red or amber and save the effort (and my eyes).

Yeah, I'm digging the new core. I've pretty much settled on buying the components and hoping that by the time I get it all wired up, the AINSER64 boards will be available from SmashTV.

• 1 month later...

Yo, I have a thought about this. I agree with you that they seem a bit close. Then I studied a bit the way I operate my encoders, wich seems to be just as tight - but only in the horizontal plane. There are more room vertically between them. I tend to grab the encoder with thumb @ six-o-clock (on the knob) and index finger at about 1-o-clock :).

So conclusion for my own use of the knobs - I can keep the distance pretty tight horizontally, but the overall feeling when using it would be a lot worse if I had the same short distance vertically (I need space for my entire thumb to fit between the encoders in the vertical plane. :).