Where to get good-quality, free, non-ripped soundfonts?

Sauraen

I've found a number of sites hosting collections of soundfonts for free download. However, many of them say things to the effect of "compiled from a bunch of sounds found on the Internet", and I don't know whether to trust that the sources these sites got their sounds from did not rip them out of commercial software or hardware samplers. So does anyone have word-of-mouth recommendations for any sites or specific soundfonts that they know were not made that way? (If this is not the right place to ask this question, I apologize.)

Hello Sauraen,

There isn't much stuff available that is free, high quality and royalty free at the same time.

A good adress would be imho DSK-Music. they have made a pretty good soundfont collection,

which is sold for 25 dollars in different file formats. Of course, 25 dollars is not free but a payable

amount of money. you can check der site for several samples.

http://www.dskmusic.com/high-quality-instruments/

cheers, Nasrudin

Sauraen, what kind of soundfonts do you need? Omg I haven't fiddled with soundfonts for 10 years now. Vsti romplers and synths have made me stuff them away and I never looked back.

My point is, I may have a bunch of soundfonts stuffed away on some backup cd somewhere, and if soundfonts are still the same, and the stuff I have is worth having around for you, I can ehrm.... slip u a cd in the mail hehe. Don't have any idea on the legal matters on this, but this is stuff I collected over some years back then, and it was mostly bundled with equipment I bought... This is not the forum to push for piracy activity, so if anyone has something against it and happen to know that I'm not legally able to "resell", please say so. They are happy in the box in the attic anyway, but if anyone can use them, ill be able to share.

Most of them are 2,4 and 8 mb sets, and is what I saw as pretty good quality back then as soundfonts come, but I admit, I don't know what u want with em, because a couple of vsti synths and romplers will get u there in a much better way, unless soundfonts are a completely different thing now than back then hehe.

@Nasrudin Thanks for the tip. I tried one of their free virtual instruments, and it sounded a little thin, plus it was choppy (but that was probably a problem on my end rather than with the software). But their demos of their paid collection sounded good--I'll keep it in mind.

@technobreath Thank you for the offer, but I don't think I'll take you up on it. I was asking because I wanted to find somewhere where I could trust that the sounds had not been obtained in a questionably legal manner. As far as your box of CDs, depending on the particular licenses for each soundfont, transferring ownership of them would range from perfectly fine to questionable to breach of contract to copyright infringement, so I don't want to get involved with it. But if you go through them and find the ones that you are allowed to redistribute, I'm sure the Internet would love them.

As far as virtual instruments, the reason I ask is I am looking for some realistic-sounding sounds of acoustic instruments for an arrangement, whether they come in the form of soundfonts, VST plugins, etc. See, I made an arrangement for OC ReMix, rendered it with the free soundfonts I had, and it was immediately rejected on the grounds of poor sample quality. I gave it to Oikanys who ran it through SONAR; it got farther in the judging process but still was rejected because it sounded too computer-ish. I realize this isn't really the place to be asking about electronic sounds that sound like "real" instruments, but... ;)

If you are looking for classical stuff, you will not get it anywhere for free. I have been in this business for so long that I have seen a lot of what's out there. One thing I can tell u, for example a piano, as long as there is super stage pianos out there, the same will be possible to do with a computer and a vsti or similar formats.

As far as classical / movie music composing, the best stuff I have seen is from EastWest. Have a look at NAMM show demos or have a look at official demo videos or something, but u need to be willing to spend the bucks on it, I'm sure. If u find free stuff that can measure up to the commercial stuff, please let me know.

As I implied earlier on, the free sf I got, and they were high quality at the time, I see almost as toys now days when I got some real stuff.

You see, the thing is that you can't just put some samples in there and expect it to sound realistic, you need a specialized software engine to handle the stuff you want to come out from the horns hehe.