My SEQV4 - Finished electronics !!!

Lamouette

Hello,

I´m building my SEQV4, but i have some questions to finish it and for my knowledge.(I´ll use this thread to ask all my questions)

First

I have some question about the power supply for the SEQV4

i live in canada actually but maybe i´ll back to France one day. So i want to built stuff with adaptable power supply everywhere.

I´m building SEQV4 with AOUT module, and in the future i will power a BLM so i think i will need a special PSU.

but i´m lost between AC/DC, different voltage, etc...

I would to use an internal PSU (with only an cable i connect on the SEQ, not a wall adaptator)

I find this : (i read in a post that i need 5v and 12V for AOUT and SEQ)

http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Phihong/PSA45U-201-R/?qs=GIJ4W%2fbeq0eUEwkhtHOEdA%3d%3d

It´s an external psu, but maybe i could adapt it to become an internal (i find it expensive but maybe that´s the price ?

I also find this :

My linkhttp://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Emerson-Network-Power/NPT42-M/?qs=FRcv9fplYLZF%252bCxF4l7TSw%3d%3d

It is internal, and really compact, so maybe it´s better for me, but more expensive !

Do you think it will work ?

That´s all for the first question ! Bye

Edited by Lamouette

Hi there,

please be aware that you need +5V / +12V / -12V for the SEQ + AOUT module, which is not provided by the product in your first link.

I used this one, but I am not sure how bad the switchmode supply affects CV output, gotta scope it @ some point in time, probably you can filter/smooth the switcher ripples with caps...

http://www.reichelt....113;PROVID=2402

Bye,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Oh, i didn't understand all you said !

For the PSU you use hawkeye, you don't use an AOUT module ?

And what is caps ?

Jojjelito : Switcher are noisy ? so as you said the better way is to buy a psu with 5V and +15/-15V and regulate it at +/-12V ?

I don't know how much power could take a SEQV4 + AOUT Module and BLM ?

I have another question : i will use my SEQV4 sometimes with a generator (Petrol -> Electricity coz there is no other choice in the forest :D !) But theses generator are not regulated, and i know that with a switching psu, there is some risk to burn all, the better is a normal psu, do you think i can use another kind of PSU ?

i think i'll buy the same psu as you for start now, but i want to modify this quickly ! So i want to learn how it works ! ;)

Caps is just short for capacitors.

Some switchers are switching at a low frequency like 60kHz or even less. Sometimes even with large ripple. This is not good as noise can enter the audio band if you don't know how to decouple things. A higher frequency switcher is no problem.

But, given that you might need +/-15V if you also use analog gear, and also that 15V is more common, there's always the option of using a small regulator to take 15V down to 12V. Those 12V are only used for the Aout that needs 100mA or less,

The MB-SEQ uses 5V, but more current. I would assume max 500mA if you count the backlights for displays plus lots of LEDs which are PWM:ed but still... It probably needs 200mA but it's good to have some margin. I don't know how much the BLM needs, maybe someone has made some measurements?

Any PSU that provides +-12V and +5V is good if you can find a nice one.

Hi !

i finnished the constructon of the LPC17; but i have a problem !

actually the board is build, and the LCPxpresso is cut in two part, and ready !

So i tried to test if something work ! But i flashed the LCPexpresso (I think it's ok) and i put in on the LCP board !

I don't know if it works, when i put the USB cable in it (power by usb), the card light for 1 second and stop, and i din't see any device on windows or something like that.

if i put the other part of the board and the toher mini usb ( So one USB come from PC to LCP17 Board; and one for the PC to the second part of the lcpxpresso), all the light are lighting (lcpspresso led in continu, and ethernet in continu), if i unplug the usb of the LCP board it's the same, but if a connet only the USB from computer to the LCP17 board, i have just this flash of 1 second and nothing more...

What i can do to test if i did something wrong ?

Problem solved by check (Again and again) on my solder point.

Edited by Lamouette

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Finally, i upload the SEQv4 loader with MIOS Studio, and it seems to work !

Now i´m a bit lost cause i have the Wilba pcb with all the part mounting on it. i also have mounted some din and dout modules to fit with it, but i understand recently that i don´t need it with wilba pcb....

So now i have my LCP 17 ready (i think) and the wilba PCB ready too.

What i have to do now ? i´m building the SD Card reader.

so now ??????

i think i have to do this but maybe i´m wrong :

- connect a SD CARD to the LCP17 and load the SEQV4 files on it.

- connect the screens to the lcp 17

- and to finish, connect the Wilba PCB to the LCP17

Am i right ?

OK, i finished th SD card reader, so i put the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file on the SD card, i plug it on the adaptator and i connect it to J16.

i pluged the USB :

- The led on the LCP1769 (half module) is flashing (on off) everytime, and the ethernet port (green) are lighting, but my computer didn't detedt any SD card (it just sound like "windows has detected something", but nothing more.

if i connect a screen, he don't light too.

i'm lost...

Someone to help me ?

The SD card won't show up in Windows unless you activate the MSD USB option from the SeqV4. You may try the mass storage device app from here http://ucapps.de/mios32_download.html if you want to test your SD card wiring.

Have you verified your wiring for the LCD? Does the SeqV4 show up in MIOS Studio? You should be able to select the midi ports - see if the Seq responds when you type 'help' in the console there.

Thanks for the help !

I pluged the LCP17 but i have this :

gallery_9818_150_72478.jpg

I seems that mios studio detect the mios32, but when i try ; "help" he just don't recognisse the action.

when i'd uploaded the firmware it looks like well...

I really don't understand !

Bye

the mios seem to be in the lpc board.

Did you try to upload sevV4 application with mios studio?

For LCD, did you check P1 an P2 (luminance and contrast of the LCD)?

If it does nothing, you will have to check connections with the datasheet of the LCD.

ok, i removed the J27, and :

- i detected the mios32 midi in and out !

- i installed the usb mass storage to try my SD Card adapter.

- Windows detected the SD card so i could copy the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file

-i re uploaded the seqv4 hex file !

i unpluged all the LCP17

i pluged the lcl, but the light extremly low. at the beginning i thougt they didn't worked, but they work !

So my new problems :

I turn P1 and P2 but only the contrast change!

also, at the begenning i can read on the screen that my SD Card is not found. is it normal ?

in MIOS Studio If i try :

set fastboot 1 -> Unknown set parameter: 'fastboot'!

msd on ->ok, but windows asked for a formate, but he can't do it !

i give you a picture of the assembly (you can see that the screens are really low lighting)

gallery_9818_150_92963.jpg

Bye !!! and thx !

Edited by Lamouette

Hey Guys,

I have some construction questions as well, but did not want start a new thread. I accidentally switched the voltage regulators so I had to cut out the L7805ACV and now I can't solder it back in. Is this the same part?

http://www.mouser.com/Cart/Cart.aspx

Also, since I have no idea when a front panel and case will be ready. Is it imperative that the control pcb is unpopulated before I attach it to the panel with JB weld? I'm guessing it is not. Thanks.

i pluged the lcl, but the light extremly low. at the beginning i thougt they didn't worked, but they work !

Is the backlight current actually fed through the DIL connector terminals, or does this LCD provide/require separate terminals ([K]athode and [A]node) for the backlight?

Is the backlight current actually fed through the DIL connector terminals, or does this LCD provide/require separate terminals ([K]athode and [A]node) for the backlight?

i connect the lcd, via a DIL connector, and yes i have 2 pins A and K, but they looks like integrated on the DIL connector.

the LCD : C-51850NFQJ-LG-ACN

Links for datasheets :

http://www.kyocera-display.com/SiteImages/PartList/SPEC/51850ace.pdf

http://www.kyocera-display.com/SiteImages/PartList/DRAWING/51850acd_drawing.pdf

i don´t think i made a mistake on the ribon cable, cause the lcd works, it´s just insuffisant lighting !

i connect the lcd, via a DIL connector, and yes i have 2 pins A and K, but they looks like integrated on the DIL connector.

True, this seems to be correct. I was suspecting that the backlight pins might be located on the opposite side of the DIL connector - I have a few displays for which the A nd K pins are not part of the DIL connector, but obviously (from looking at the data sheet) this is not the case here.

Edit: From the picture above I see that you are not using an external power supply but a USB port for power. Try disconnecting one of the displays and see if that makes the remaining backlight brighter and solves your SD card issues... According to the datasheet each display backlight consumes 120mA.

Edited by ilmenator

You could connect the cathode of the backlight directly to Ground, this should result into full brightness.

According to the datasheet this is allowed (Vr = 5V, there is a Z diode to protect the LEDs)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, What´´s up ?

i give you some news !

i´m on for the power supply section. But (Suspence..... :) ) i have some questions !!

i bought my PSU (internal) a plug for the power cable, and am illuminated switch.

gallery_9818_150_243211.jpg

gallery_9818_150_14876.jpg

My PSU : http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/55225L.pdf

i do a schema to be sure i won´t do somethings bad :

gallery_9818_150_60091.jpg

Am i right ? Maybe i do something wrong with the illimunated LED ?