latency in mb64e

technobreath

Yo,

I'm getting more set on building a 64E nowdays. I have a masterkeyboard now (a radium64) that has some pots and sliders on it. This is really "slow". When I turn the pot - for example a pot assigned to cutoff, the realtime change in the sound is very very "steppy" if u know what I mean. I gotta move the pot really slow to get a even seamless reaction from the vsti.

Is this gonna be the same in the 64E? Or is it just because the brain in the radium is just too slow?

I really found a need today when playing my digital piano and combining it with analog synthesis with lowpass filtered pad. That sound is really really nice, but the latency or low resolution at high speed turning kinda ruins it for me. So I'm gonna need a portable controller (wich can be set on top of the stagepiano / digital piano in my studio) that is faster / has better "resolution" I guess... and also the possibility to attach a couple of expression pedals - controlling analogpad cutoff freq while playing the piano can be used to make some really nice and dynamic music!

So, what's the verdict from those of u who know the midibox HUIs better than me? Will it be worth building this - will it behave? :)

Hi,

on MB64E you won't notice such latency issues, since pots/encoders/buttons are scanned faster than a MIDI message could be transmitted -> full bandwidth! :)

But the resolution is limited to 7bit to avoid jittering pot values.

For higher resolutions an AINSER64 module will be required, a LPC17 core module and a MIOS32 based application which converts them into MIDI events which are understood by your synth.

Unfortunately you haven't mentioned if and how your synth understands higher resolutions (which MIDI events have to be sent?)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello :). That is what I thought, that the issues I am having is bcoz of slow scanning of the pot on the master keyboard... What you ask for, I'm not quite sure I undertstand though. I'm not sure what the 7 bit limit means for my setup, and u ask for

Unfortunately you haven't mentioned if and how your synth understands higher resolutions (which MIDI events have to be sent?)

I'm not sure what you ask for here, but what I can tell you about my test tonight is that I used my radium64 master keyboard to control an instance of Sylenth1 vsti in cubase. Being ages since I set up the keyboard for real, I used the learn function in the vsti to map one pot to the cutoff and one for the reso. Turning the knob made a very non-smooth transition in cutoff and reso, just as u would expect from a firmware that isn't allowed to scan the potmeter many times enough ;). Somehow I feel that this doesn't really answer ur question though :P. I'm not sure wich midi messages are sent to the synth now, since I used the learn function, and I haven't hooked up midiox or any other monitor to it to see what's going on.

What should I do? Build the midibox64e with a core8 with confidence that this will solve these issues I'm having with the radium64, or do I need to go LPC? I have one of your pcb from the first bulk run, so i should be able to put that together if I need to, for now, the module is still incomplete on my bench, as it hasn't been a priority - but the lpc itself is programmed with the bootloader, so its ready to go :).

So what should I do then? Build the core8 based, or should I provide more info (then what kind of info) before deciding?

Thanks!