HUI emulation for Pro Tools

GiPitt

I have been reading this forum and the uCApps website for a couple weeks now and have actually built 2 MBHP_MF modules for automating 16 motorfaders (Alps RSA0N11M9A0K) on an Amek Media 51. I am not implementing anything but the faders. I am still waiting on some wiring connectors I ran out of to finish all 16 channels, but I have 8 up and running (kind of). I have tried to find an actual HUI emulation to run with Pro Tools, but it seems all I can find are LC, Motormix and Mackie Control Universal emulations. I don't like posting as a newbie, because the information is usually out there, but I can't find it at all! I know almost nothing of programming (I'm learning, but it's slow with everything else on my plate) and would like some help with this.

I can get the Mackie Control emulation to work with Nuendo but can't get anything to work with ProTools.

I also have a problem with both of my MBHP_MF modules throwing seemingly random messages when moving faders 1-5. Also faders 6-8 throw messages for all three faders when moving just one (example: in pitchbender mode ch 1-5 are faders 1-5, but faders 6-8 throw ch 6, 7, 8 in sequence when just one of the faders moves). As I stated before I ran out of wiring hardware (don't want to solder all the connections) so can't make a new wiring harness until new supplies get in. The wires currently check fine on a simple continuity test. If an IC was to blame, both the modules most likely wouldn't have the same problem.

Also a couple of notes on my build. First of all a very big Thank You!! to Thorsten, SmashTV, Roelli and everyone else that has contributed to MIDIBox and the motorfader thread. The PCBs really help and are great! Roelli's wiring diagragm was very helpful. And of course Thorsten's design is great! A couple notes on the PCB though: the 10 pin connectors are wired differently (from what I can tell) and would make wiring a little easier if the pins lined up to the same channels on both connectors; or group the pins for each individual channel into a 6 pin I/O block (which I realize would take a bit more design work and probably isn't worth the trouble). I hope you don't take this as criticism, I appreciate very much the PCB design, but just about every design can be improved to a certain extent.

I know this was a large post, and I hope once everything is working correctly to post my project and maybe a DigiKey BOM like the Reichelt orderlist Thorsten posted.

Edited by GiPitt

Integrating Mackie HUI emulation into the MBHP_MF_NG firmware is on my agenda.

I also have a problem with both of my MBHP_MF modules throwing seemingly random messages when moving faders 1-5. Also faders 6-8 throw messages for all three faders when moving just one (example: in pitchbender mode ch 1-5 are faders 1-5, but faders 6-8 throw ch 6, 7, 8 in sequence when just one of the faders moves). As I stated before I ran out of wiring hardware (don't want to solder all the connections) so can't make a new wiring harness until new supplies get in. The wires currently check fine on a simple continuity test. If an IC was to blame, both the modules most likely wouldn't have the same problem.

Unstable/Jittering values can be caused by a PSU issue, if the voltage gets unstable once the motor is moved and consumes power. If you've access to an alternative PSU, please try it first.

Another reason could be too long cables between analog inputs (J2) and fader taps. Make them as short as possible.

Even shielded cables could help, but as you can see on my prototype picture, ribbon cables are working as well (although it's an uncommon choice) with an acceptable signal quality: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_mf_ng_final1.jpg

If both tips don't help, you could increase the AIN deadband from 3 to 7 - this reduces the resolution by 1 bit, but it leads to more stable values.

And a last tip: if touch sensors are connected, no additional measure is required. Just activate the touch sensor mode which only sends MIDI events when the fader is touched.

A couple notes on the PCB though: the 10 pin connectors are wired differently (from what I can tell) and would make wiring a little easier if the pins lined up to the same channels on both connectors;

thanks for the hint! We haven't considered this detail, but it makes sense.

or group the pins for each individual channel into a 6 pin I/O block (which I realize would take a bit more design work and probably isn't worth the trouble).

I think it's better to clearly separate motor supply lines by analog and touch sense lines, because the motor supply is noisy and could induct some jitter.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Integrating Mackie HUI emulation into the MBHP_MF_NG firmware is on my agenda.

Unstable/Jittering values can be caused by a PSU issue, if the voltage gets unstable once the motor is moved and consumes power. If you've access to an alternative PSU, please try it first.

Another reason could be too long cables between analog inputs (J2) and fader taps. Make them as short as possible.

Even shielded cables could help, but as you can see on my prototype picture, ribbon cables are working as well (although it's an uncommon choice) with an acceptable signal quality: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_mf_ng_final1.jpg

If both tips don't help, you could increase the AIN deadband from 3 to 7 - this reduces the resolution by 1 bit, but it leads to more stable values.

And a last tip: if touch sensors are connected, no additional measure is required. Just activate the touch sensor mode which only sends MIDI events when the fader is touched.

thanks for the hint! We haven't considered this detail, but it makes sense.

I think it's better to clearly separate motor supply lines by analog and touch sense lines, because the motor supply is noisy and could induct some jitter.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I hadn't considered the noise in the motor supply. The way I've combined the wires into bundles for each fader could be causing that jitter. The overall lengths are pretty short, but they are running close and parallel. I'll rewire and also switch to a different PSU. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to the HUI emulation.

Jason