Strange midi events and note on/off

jwillans

I am using chained midiboxes with PIC cores running midio128. They were working fine although I have been tinkering with configuration and per_se's patch that enables me to add potentiometers to one of the cores on J5. However I'm getting strange behaviour with the symptoms being stuck notes. When I look at the input through mios studio I am seeing a lots of f9 events with no further parameters, I am also seeing some of the notes producing none on/off parameters in short bursts which I think may be causing the stuck notes. Any ideas on what might be going on?

I have reinstalled midio128 again without any improvement. How do I go about reformatting the core (without losing its id) so that I can effectively start from scratch? I originally did this six years ago when I first built the cores and can't remember the exact process.

Thanks,

James

Further to this - will reinstalling midios remove all applications/patches I have installed to a core?

I am using chained midiboxes with PIC cores running midio128. They were working fine although I have been tinkering with configuration and per_se's patch that enables me to add potentiometers to one of the cores on J5. However I'm getting strange behaviour with the symptoms being stuck notes. When I look at the input through mios studio I am seeing a lots of f9 events with no further parameters, I am also seeing some of the notes producing none on/off parameters in short bursts which I think may be causing the stuck notes. Any ideas on what might be going on?

I have reinstalled midio128 again without any improvement. How do I go about reformatting the core (without losing its id) so that I can effectively start from scratch? I originally did this six years ago when I first built the cores and can't remember the exact process.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

Such a problem could be related to a unstable (or missing) connection to the SC (serial clock) or RC (capture) to the DIN module(s).

In order to troubleshoot this, it makes sense to disconnect the DIN modules, and to connect them again one by one.

Either the cables between the modules are faulty, or one module breaks the SC/RC line which goes to all DIN shift registers.

Check also for bad solder joints around the RC/SC traces on the PCB.

My guess is, that a new installation won't help.

But for the case that you want to try it out, you've to be very careful with such an old setup.

Exactly 6 years ago (9th April 2006) I introduced MIOS V1.9 with a new bootloader (v1.2) which isn't compatible to Bootloader V1.1

MIOS Studio 2 only supports the "new" (ok, now 6 years old) bootloader.

Do you remember which Bootloader version is installed on your PIC?

Or: did you buy the PIC from SmashTV? Then it should be written on the sticker.

If Bootloader V1.2 is installed, you can update MIOS and thereafter the MIDIO128 application without problems!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

Such a problem could be related to a unstable (or missing) connection to the SC (serial clock) or RC (capture) to the DIN module(s).

In order to troubleshoot this, it makes sense to disconnect the DIN modules, and to connect them again one by one.

Either the cables between the modules are faulty, or one module breaks the SC/RC line which goes to all DIN shift registers.

Check also for bad solder joints around the RC/SC traces on the PCB.

My guess is, that a new installation won't help.

But for the case that you want to try it out, you've to be very careful with such an old setup.

Exactly 6 years ago (9th April 2006) I introduced MIOS V1.9 with a new bootloader (v1.2) which isn't compatible to Bootloader V1.1

MIOS Studio 2 only supports the "new" (ok, now 6 years old) bootloader.

Do you remember which Bootloader version is installed on your PIC?

Or: did you buy the PIC from SmashTV? Then it should be written on the sticker.

If Bootloader V1.2 is installed, you can update MIOS and thereafter the MIDIO128 application without problems!

Thanks for your insight and the warning. The boards are from SmashTV and I think they are the latest, but I'll check before going down that path. What's interesting about the problem is that I think I am seeing the same symptoms through two different modules that are chained together through midi-in/out. I'm going to do so experimentation tonight along the lines you suggest to try and isolate the issue.

Thanks again,

James