Recreation of NI's MASSIVE

Kontrapunctus

Hi guys :D

My first post here. I'm very glad I found this community :)

I have a sexy idea about a custom controller, I would really like to build it, I will just tell the idea to you, that are certainly more expert than me, can you just tell me what you think?

Yes, I'm a total noob, but I learn pretty fast (cool, I'm also reading the wiki)

So the idea is basically an phisycal version of the NI's vst called MASSIVE.

massive.jpg

I would like to recreate the total feel of the VST, so I would like the design and the colours to be the same as the VST..

How hard is it? Is possible at all?

Consider that I really don't even know how to take the first step, but, as I said, I learn things pretty fast.

Thank you. :)

(sorry if wrong section)

Depends on how accurately you want to model it. Massive's knobs within knobs with max min settings, is going to be near impossible to capture like the layout. Also, Massives LFO curve selector/editor would be a pain. One more thing,a single old core (the new core isn't supported yet), is going to be limited to around 100 knobs/faders and 50 buttons. A single core controller, fully stuffed, is going to run you around $500, and you'd still need to cut and paint your panel.

If you can work with that, you can have a bad ass controller for Massive, that mostly captures what you want. You'de still need a mouse to do a few things, but overall your controller would make tweaking a whole lot more accesible. I'm also really interested in a controller for this synth, so if you do decide to build it I'd love to see what you come up with. Good luck!

Hi,

if the VST does not have a "MIDI learn" feature for certain functions, you might be able to hack in some mouse automation, that is triggered by MIDI events... but it is very hacky :)

On the other hand, i´d recommend to start with the basics, e.g. by building the encoders first. MIDIO V3 would be a great base for it (read ucapps.de). Just having a bunch of encoders instead of using the mouse will already greatly improve your experience.

Good luck!

Peter

Is the mouse automation the only possible solution?

Would it be solid? I like the idea though..

Where can I learn more about these mouse automation? The first thing that came up in my mind is the massive's window position on the screen.. it should always be in a certain position? Also, of course it doesn't work if the windoes is not on top, right?

Thank you for your suggestion!

It was just an idea, yes the window should be fullscreen, but if you build the controller anyways you have some cost, so you could dedicate a full display/monitor to it, e.g. an old 15"/17" tft screwed directly above your controller. This way you see what is going on, what the encoder values are etc, but you have physical hardware to control everything... best of two worlds...

There are tools for mouse automation for all OSes, but you´d need to find a way how these tools can be triggered externally via MIDI events...

Bye,

Peter