non-16 step pattern in song mode ?

tupinamba

Hi everyone,

Something I can't do...

I have a 24 step pattern which plays OK in Pattern Mode... But when I am in Song Mode, it doesn't move to the next pattern at step 25 but

it plays the first 8 steps of the 24 step pattern again to reach a total of 32 steps and then moves to the next pattern...

How can I make it start the next pattern at step 25 ?...

Thanks !

It seems that if I choose "Measure : 8 steps" and "Pattern : 8 steps" in the Options page, I can get more flexibility... But I still cannot do what I want.

Here is the thing :

I work on a triple time song.

There's a point on the song where I have a break with an uneven number of measures.

It goes like this (bass notes):

B 2-3 / C 2-3 / C 2-3 / F 2-3 / F 2-3 / F 2-3 / F 2-3 / F 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12

So this is a total number of 33 times / steps. I don't know how to do it...

I tried the Triplet mode where 8 steps equal 3 times and with a 64 step sequence I can play until the last F note (3 times) but I have 9 times left!

If you happen to have a solution to my problem that would be really great...

Hm... there is currently no solution to realize this.

I possible solution would be a new option which would use a given track as measure reference instead of a static number of steps (let's call it "guide track").

But I'm unsure about the side effects, e.g. when the song position is changed from a DAW.

Also the synchronization with external MIDI devices could be difficult, as they rely on a predefined (and never changing) bar counting.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

I would second the option for a feature like this! I often write songs in strange time signatures that change time signatures multiple times in a song. Having one track set as the master references would be perfect. Even if it were a simple on/off options, taking track 1 as the reference.

How difficult would it be to hard code this behavior into my MBSEQ as a custom job?

The code seems all very well commented and in C, so I am not intimidated, but I am wondering about any pitfalls I may encounter.

I would not be concerned about any glitchy side effects with MIDI slave or master devices, since MBSEQ is the core sequencing component in my rig.

The "Guide Track" feature is now implemented in V4.060:

Please let me know if it works at your side, and/or if the usage is too confusing.

I think that the new possibilities are really interesting! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I can imagine, why it gets stucked with a guide track with more than 16 steps: the current step is compared with the measure, which means if the measure consists of 16 steps only, the loop point condition will never be met. It would work if you configure the measure length with 32 or more steps in the UTIL->OPT page.

I can fix this in the next version by giving the guide track an own (independent) measure.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow TK, I just discovered that you added this great feature that is going to change my life forever! (sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed...).

... But the thing is, I haven't been able to try it cause I can't upload the new firmware... :wacko:

I overwrote the MBSEQ_HW.V4 on the SDCARD with the new file (wilba's version) but it doesn't seem to upload and I'm still at version 058... That's weird because as I can recall the procedure is pretty straight forward. What do I miss?

Hello Thorsten,

I've been trying the new "Guide Track" feature and I have the same problem as creatorlars : I use measures that are more than 16 steps. In the project I'm working on now, I have 48 step measures, which can work with the regular mode, and then a break that is 66 steps... and which can't!

The thing is I could imagine making a 64 step pattern and then a 2 step pattern which should work with the "Guide Track" new feature... But it seems that loops don't progress when I activate the "Guide Track", even though I changed Measure Length to 48 steps in the OPT page...

I must be missing something... but I guess the simplest way would be the upgrade you were talking about where the "Guide Track" has its own measure length corresponding to the current pattern length...

[EDIT]

OK, I changed the "Pattern length" instead of the "measure lenght"... Now it works fine...

Edited by tupinamba