Flush MagJack?

tonedef

I have a 0.1" aluminum sheet I was hoping to cut and get a nice clean panel on the back for all the connections. Everything looks like it'll be flush, except the magjack, which sticks out. What have other people done to get this to look nice? I was thinking to just attach the magjack with wire a few mm off the board so I could push it back, then just JB weld (glue) it in my panel. Stupid idea?

I have a 0.1" aluminum sheet I was hoping to cut and get a nice clean panel on the back for all the connections. Everything looks like it'll be flush, except the magjack, which sticks out. What have other people done to get this to look nice? I was thinking to just attach the magjack with wire a few mm off the board so I could push it back, then just JB weld (glue) it in my panel. Stupid idea?

An UTP connector is supposed to stick out, otherwise it is hard to get the connector out.

Perhaps you mean the ethernet port is flush with the surface and the MIDI & USB are recessed (i.e. back the depth of the panel)? Basically I want the UTP port looking kinda like this:

IMG_0136.JPG

Put another way, I guess what I wasn't sure of is if it's okay to have the other ports back 0.1" (i.e. behind the panel front as opposed to flush with the face). Looking at my other midi gear the MIDI ports are recessed, but the USB is flush.

Edited by tonedef