Help with basic MBFM setup

TAG

I have a basic MBFM setup: Ctrlr, the MBHP_OPL3 module and the MBHP_CORE.

My understanding was that once I started the MBHP_CORE with the MBFM application I would be able to play an e-piano sound with no control surface, but I am not able to get any output. I have loaded the test tone application and that works fine.

After loading the test tone, when I went to reload the MBFM application in the core I got an error message in Mios studio during the download, but the MBFM application was still able to start up and run. Does Mios studio try to program a bankstick at the same time as the application? I don't yet have a bankstick in my setup.

Thanks

I am using a 452 with the 452 firmware. Mios studio shows 20736 bytes of flash and 256 bytes of EEPROM, is the 256 bytes of EEPROM the single default patch? It seems that what is happening is that I have the application with a blank patch. I got it to work by sending a patch with the SYSEX tool. It seems to be working fine now but I'm not sure why the application download in MIOS Studio isn't able to complete 100%.

Every time I tried to upload the application I got the same error, and the application ran with what I assume was a blank patch (the displayed patch name was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> or something like that).

I swapped the 452 out for a 4685 and was able to upload the 4685 application 100% and the application ran with the Fender Rhodes patch. I will probably try completely erasing the 452 and trying again just out of curiosity.

• 1 month later...

Recently i put together my midibox fm, in the same basic configuration TAG used; trying to upload the provided setup_pic18f452_mbfm_v1.hex inside the 1.4e release, i got the same error as TAG. Since i don't use any control surface i tried to disable it in the asm file and then recompile as explained here, but MAKE gave back the following error:

src/main.inc:384:error 113 symbol not previosly defined(CS_MENU_MATRIX_handler)

so i opened main.inc, deleted the offending line (my programming skills are at "butcher level", wich is just beyond the "hello world" grade :sweat: ) and recompiled

no error this time, and the compiled code was quite smaller and was uploaded with no problem at all into my 452, wich now runs properly

hope this could help as both a bugreport or workaround

Edited by Giovanni